SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skysafari WiFi ??

barkis

Is this Device really any improvement over a conventional fixed Observatory Setup?    I can understand  it will be a good tool for Observers/Imagers in an out of home location environment. The current 15% discounted price of £153 maybe attractive, but perhaps those already in possession of one of these recent additions to  practical astronomy could give their opinions on the usefulness, or otherwise of it's worth to them.

Thanks.

Ron.

Are you talking about the SkyFi unit Ron, which allows you to connect via WiFi to your mount?

I have a semi permanent setup in my garden with Vixen GP-DX and Skysensor 2000PC controller, and often use a SkyFi unit aswell so I can control the mount with my phone. I doubt it would be much use for imaging, but for visual I think it is just as useful for fixed installs vs using it away from home. I find it much easier to look at the star map and select targets by tapping them, rather than having to enter some obscure SAO number to find a double star for instance.

It does mean having SkySafari too which is an additional cost, but it works well for me.

@Stu & @Gina Hi both, I did read your posts that indicated that you indeed had one of the devices, and although you Stu.  have done some imaging, I believe it to be limited to lunar work, and perhaps Solar, and short exposure phone captures too.  Of course there has to be  perfectly sound reason for the introduction of the system, and I was seeking verification of it's usefullness as a practical introduction to both visual and Photographic aid by those who have one in their armoury?. Looking back over the years, I am aware of some much change in the technology that has literally swamped the Astro. Arena. Most of it welcome, but I wish I had been born a bit later ?.

Thanks for your response.

Ron.

PS.   I won't be buying one by the way I have enough on my  plate as is. ?.

Edited by barkis

Guest chaz2b

My EQ6 is controlled via. Synscan WiFi dongle that cost me about £44, and I use synscan pro for the software( it’s free!) The software is basic but it does the job.

chaz

1 hour ago, chaz2b said:

My EQ6 is controlled via. Synscan WiFi dongle that cost me about £44, and I use synscan pro for the software( it’s free!) The software is basic but it does the job.

chaz

I also use this method sometimes for observing. It can work with Sky Safari but its 50/50 for me. Sometimes get a message saying Sky Safari can connect to the mount but cant control it, or something along those lines.

I have a fixed observatory setup utilising an AZ EQ 6 GT (in AZ mode for tandem observing) which now is fully controlled by a WiFi dongle, my iPhone (plus the free Synscan App) and the Sky Safari (V5) App on my iPad.  The latter is a hit with visitors who can visualise the real time night sky view on the iPad then send the scopes to the target of their choice.  Wouldn't have it any other way.  For outreach (see image) I use the same process with the exception that I don't need the dongle because the Az Gti portable mount has built in WiFi.

D436B8D0-84C3-4A95-813C-27A53128CD4A.JPG.829889df0adb841eb816eda649116272.JPG

• Like 1

I thoroughly recommend Sky Safari having used it for past few months with the synscan WiFi dongle in my observatory. The sheer number of deep sky and solar system objects and it’s ease of use make it a hit. 

Downside is that you’ll need 2 devices if you’re on iOS - one for the synscan and one for Sky Safari - and a charger for extended sessions in the cold.