Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon D5000 External Power

simondodd

Heya,

Does anyone here use the D5000 with an external power supply?

I have bought the replacement battery thing (EP 5) and it came with what was supposed to be the right AC adapter but the one they sent is 9V and the batteries are 7.4V

I cant find anything anywhere about whether I need an EH5, EH5a or EH5b AC adapter and no one is showing the output specs from what I can find...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance ;)

I cant answer your question directly as I am Canon only but they use a similar battery voltage of 7.4V, I have a battery grip with mine that uses two standard batteries but also comes with and adapter for using 6 x AA ones and the total voltage of this combination can be as high as 10V.  I believe that Nikon cameras have the same arrangement for their battery grips.

Most of the adapters I have seen for the Canon set the voltage at around 8V but as said it can handle more....

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

2 hours ago, simondodd said:

Heya,

Does anyone here use the D5000 with an external power supply?

I have bought the replacement battery thing (EP 5) and it came with what was supposed to be the right AC adapter but the one they sent is 9V and the batteries are 7.4V

I cant find anything anywhere about whether I need an EH5, EH5a or EH5b AC adapter and no one is showing the output specs from what I can find...

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance ;)

As far as I'm aware the power supply from the AC adaptor is 9v at 4.5amps

The Nikon site says you need an EH5 or 5a with the EP-5 adaptor.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

I'm currently building a box to house everything on my tripod so there will only be a couple of wires coming off it. I probably wont end up using the AC adapter as I have a load of voltage regulators for the box so can feed whatever I need. I just don't want to use the wrong one to take the voltage measurements and then be screwed! haha