Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

Portech7

Corona Borealis

Great viewing this evening.

I was viewing Arcturus earlier on but at around 21.45hrs, I scanned slightly east and over to the Corona Borealis to look in on Alphekka as it was shinning bright, I also wanted to spend some time looking at Nusakan and the other stars in the group as there's a few pulsating, variable and double stars. I sat viewing for a few minutes when something bright shot speedily across my sight (think this was possibly NORAD 28649, Cartosat-1 looking on Stellarium).

I decided to view Corona Borealis on the widest angle eyepiece I currently have (62 degree) as I am still quite new to astronomy and learning what equipment I might need as I go, but I wanted to see what else may pop into sight. I wasn't disappointed as in a very short time it seamed to turn into a shooting gallery. Again, looking at Stellarium, I believe some were artificial satellites etc, but there was one or two which I couldn't identify. They weren't planes crossing my view as I'm familiar with the flight paths near me, so I think they may have been the odd comet etc.

Anyway, to cut a story short, I can't explain how great and awe inspiring it is to just sit down patiently, relax, focus my scope on a patch of sky and watch these wondrous and amazing sights unfold before my eyes.

What a beautiful hobby to have ?

• Like 1

Sounds like a great evening.

Moving objects would not have been comets - they do move but not so you would notice it while watching. There is a site that you can check out artificial satellites - hopefully someone knowledgable will post a link. Anything fast moving could have been a meteor?

Glad you are enjoying the hobby.

• Like 1