Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera options for Quark with Equinox 80ED

thomasv

I have a SW equinox 80ed and just ordered a quark chromosphere, so was wondering which camera would be a good match? I'm thinking primarily of a zwo one, but open to suggestions. I've actually have a asi1600, should I be trying it with that first, although I'd quite like to keep my deep sky setup undisturbed and get another camera for solar.

Thanks.

I've just purchased an ZWO ASI178MM haven't tried it yet though, I'm using it on 152mm so your 80mm will get you a bigger FOV, probably still need a 12 pane mosaic to get a full disc.

Dave

On 29/04/2019 at 16:15, Davey-T said:

I've just purchased an ZWO ASI178MM haven't tried it yet though, I'm using it on 152mm so your 80mm will get you a bigger FOV, probably still need a 12 pane mosaic to get a full disc.

Dave

Do you need a front mounted erf on the 152 dave,?

Thanks for the replies. I think I figured out how to use the FOV calculator, just need to include the 4.2x of the quark, right? So, for pc387's setup I get this. (Should be 2.1x barlow, but that's not on the list.

I think I ought to try my 1600 first, it's a bit larger as it's cooled, but at least should be able to get the full disc, I'm hoping.

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, thomasv said:

Thanks for the replies. I think I figured out how to use the FOV calculator, just need to include the 4.2x of the quark, right? So, for pc387's setup I get this. (Should be 2.1x barlow, but that's not on the list.

I think I ought to try my 1600 first, it's a bit larger as it's cooled, but at least should be able to get the full disc, I'm hoping.

Capture.PNG

I thought the Equinox had a fl of 500mm?  Combined with a Quark and 0.5 reducer gives you a fl of just over 1000mm at f/12.5 ish.  The 174 would be ok (I own one) but you might want to consider something with smaller pixels such as the 290MM (which I also own) although the latter has a small 'widescreen' chip.  I don't have experience of the 178 but it is used for solar successfully.  I struggled to get good focus with the Quark and 174 combination via my ED80.  I'm a big fan of the 290MM for solar and lunar.

Hi,

The esprit has a focal length of 400 mm, and the 0.5x reduced image area looks very similar to the one in the FOV calculator. I need to add an additional spacer between  the chip and reducer. I've attached a couple of images comparing reduced and native with the ZWO174MM ( I'm still learning and limited to PSE for combining proms and surface).

0.5x reduction and spacer with quark chromosphere and esprit ed80.jpg

native_quark chromosphere and Esprit  ed80.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MBJ said:

Do you need a front mounted erf on the 152 dave,?

No just a 2" 35nm Ha filter in the diagonal for visual or in an extension for imaging.

Dave