stargazine_ep45_banner.thumb.jpg.71f13bfceacd5e3df366d82c2b6f5f9b.jpg

I just got my 24" structure in the house....cage then the rocker box followed by the mirror box- holy cow!

Anyway after doing this I have a new found respect for the Dob Mob that travels to dark sites with these telescopes- many kudos.

Seriously my hat is off for you guys!:thumbsup::icon_salut:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Try to imagine tlhe feast for your eyes that awaits you at those pristine dark sites though.      I've experienced what these Goliath's are capable of, and never to be forgotten.?

Ron .

Edited by barkis
  • Like 5

So is this a new telescope? Are you going to upload any photos?

(Sorry if you've already posted about it somewhere else and I've missed it).

I do love the large dobsonian telescopes. (Never had a look through one but they just look like works of art).

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Lurcher said:

So is this a new telescope? Are you going to upload any photos?

(Sorry if you've already posted about it somewhere else and I've missed it).

I do love the large dobsonian telescopes. (Never had a look through one but they just look like works of art).

Yes its new, no photos yet I just got it in the house.

15 minutes ago, barkis said:

Try to imagine tlhe feast for your eyes that awaits you at those pristine dark sites though.      I've experienced what these Goliath's are capable of, and never to be forgotten.?

Ron .

Thankfully this thing will be stored assembled and cooled, ready to wheel out -with the 8' long handles... can't wait to try it, too bad I never had it last night.

22 hours ago, jetstream said:

I just got my 24" structure in the house....cage then the rocker box followed by the mirror box- holy cow!

Anyway after doing this I have a new found respect for the Dob Mob that travels to dark sites with these telescopes- many kudos.

Seriously my hat is off for you guys!:thumbsup::icon_salut:

Nice one; I have four inches to catch up on you.    ;)

Totally agree regarding transportation - fair play to the Dob Mob!!

Congratulations on your latest purchase.  

• Like 5
23 minutes ago, Beulah said:

Nice one; I have four inches to catch up on you.    ;)

Totally agree regarding transportation - fair play to the Dob Mob!!

Congratulations on your latest purchase.  

Thank you, the 24" aperture was picked because of the gain over the other scope but realistically it was because an affordable Pyrex blank became available and I waited a long time, not only for the blank but for the finished mirror and structure. All this can get pretty expensive...lol!

Again, thanks for the congrats!

• Like 5

Congratulations Gerry I know how you are going to enjoy such a huge scope.

Yes travelling to dark skies isn't easy when big dobs are being used but with careful planning it's not hard and never a chore. We know what we were undertaking entering the hunt for Galaxies. It's probably the most frustrating part of astronomy because of so many factors, new moon, dark skies,cloud,transparency..etc.

But I wouldn't have it any other way. The planning with Damo and Steve and then the ensuing hunt is 80% of the fun. The capture it's self and the study can be very rewarding. Have fun out there,we do. Clear skies.

• Like 6

Fantastic news Gerry and looking forward to first light. 

Have dob will travel. It would be nice to just step out of the house and view but travelling brings with it a sense of adventure, new friends, new places and lots of laughs. 

Eagerly awaiting the pics and reports under those seriously dark skies you have. 

• Like 4