Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR and Sharpcap?

Hi all, is it possible to connect a dslr to sharpcap, I don't have an autoguiding camera as im new to this great hobby, and I was thinking of using my DSLR in sharpcap to polar align, and then use the DSLR  to image in APT, I would just like to use it to polar align my barn door tracker accuratly, or if there's another polar alignment software that can support a DSLR, I know I can use sparkocam to connect the DSLR to sharpcap but exposure controls are not given.

Edited by Arran townsend

2 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Be nice if that works out for you.

This was raised on the BYEOS forum-https://www.otelescope.com/forums/topic/2821-bye-3rd-party-api-used-as-basis-for-ascomdslr-driver/ I do hope better progress can be made but Guylain's comment may be telling.

Cheers,
Steve

Does this mean with the ASCOM driver my dslr will work in most software other than sharpcap?

6 hours ago, Arran townsend said:

With all of the research I've done, how did I not find this website, thanks mate!

6 hours ago, PeterCPC said:

Hi mate, I've just done completed the instructions on this page, Thank you very much for your help, It works a treat!!

2 hours ago, Arran townsend said:

Does this mean with the ASCOM driver my dslr will work in most software other than sharpcap?

Hi, some people on CN have reported partial success of sorts with some models but my understanding is more work is needed before all Canon DSLR's work fully functionally with the ASCOM driver, but you might be fortunate with your camera though the odds are probably against it right now.

Cheers,
Steve

8 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi, some people on CN have reported partial success of sorts with some models but my understanding is more work is needed before all Canon DSLR's work fully functionally with the ASCOM driver, but you might be fortunate with your camera though the odds are probably against it right now.

Cheers,
Steve

I've tried my camera both in sharpcap and phd2 and both work great.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2019 at 20:39, Arran townsend said:

I've tried my camera both in sharpcap and phd2 and both work great.

That's brilliant 😃  So pleased for you. May I enquire what model DSLR you have and what functionality you have with the camera, that is are all the DSLR capabilities able to be used (e.g. 'Live View').

Good luck with your future imaging and don't forget to post your images.

Best Regards,
Steve

Edited by SteveNickolls
Smiley died twice

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/04/2019 at 08:17, SteveNickolls said:

That's brilliant ? ?  So pleased for you. May I enquire what model DSLR you have and what functionality you have with the camera, that is are all the DSLR capabilities able to be used (e.g. 'Live View').

Good luck with your future imaging and don't forget to post your images.

Best Regards,
Steve

I have a canon 1200d, 

• Like 1