Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

alan4908

M33 (reprocessed)

Recommended Posts

I've often wondered how my post processing skills have changed over the years, so I decided to find out by extracting some data which I acquired c2.5 years ago and performing a reprocess on M33. 

The LRGB image with an Ha blend into the red channel represents just over 15 hours and was taken with my ED80 on my NEQ6. 

(If you want to have a look at my original result from 2.5 years ago have a look in my album Deep Sky II). 

 1353697819_20.Final.thumb.jpg.29696cca5aecbc8fa6991edbaed0c82f.jpg

Alan

LIGHTS:  L:15, R:9, G:10, B: 12 x 600s; H: 15 x 1800s. DARKS:30; BIAS:100; FLATS:40 all at -20C. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice Alan, both versions very good although I do prefer the latest one.  Be interesting to know what was different about the processing methodology you used. 

Dave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Alan, both versions very good although I do prefer the latest one.  Be interesting to know what was different about the processing methodology you used. 

Dave

Thanks for the comment Lauren. The main post processing differences are:

- I corrected for a slight camera tilt via PS, this results in slightly oddly shaped stars towards the edges of the frame. You should be able to see theses defects in the old image if you zoom in.

- PI's Photometric Colour Calibration was used on the new image. 

- PI's HDMRT was used on the Lum to increase the contrast (before I used the PS High Pass Filter)

- PI's Dark Script Enhance was used to enhance the galaxies dust lanes.

So, still a mixture of PS and PI but now with more PI.

Alan

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By PH-R
      M33 captured over 4 nights, 16hrs of data using 300sec subs, darks from library, mixed flats for an average and bias frames. Camera: Canon 600D. Everything put into Deep Sky Stacker and the resulting image processed in PS.
      I used a video made by Scott Rosen on processing to help me process and I learnt some really powerful techniques to use in PS.  I think this is my best processed image to date, so I feel happy I have made some progress. Looking forward to reprocessing my old data armed with the new knowledge 🙂. 

    • By alexbb
      At the same astro party where I shot the Pleiades and partially Iris + the surroundings, I started gathering data for M33.
      For this image I used only a SkyWatcher 150PDS through which I recorded the photons on an ASI1600MMC.
      Curiously enough, I shot ~3.5h of luminance there under Bortle 2 skies, but a simple STF in PixInisght revealed less details than in 4h of luminance (through a LP filter) shot from home under Bortle 6-7 skies.
      Nevertheless, I put all the luminance together, I shot another 40mins of each RGB + 1h45min of Ha and made an image. A bit of colour only I also borrowed from an image I made 2 years ago, but in a small ratio.
      For full resolution: https://www.astrobin.com/yqr8xe/

    • By alan4908
      I've often wondered how my post processing skills have changed over the years, so I decided to find out by extracting some data which I acquired c2.5 years ago and performing a reprocess on M33.  The LRGB image with an Ha blend into the red channel represents just over 15 hours and was taken with my ED80 on my NEQ6. 
      The main post processing differences are:
      - I corrected for a slight camera tilt via PS, this results in slightly oddly shaped stars towards the edges of the frame. You should be able to see theses defects in the old image if you zoom in.
      - PI's Photometric Colour Calibration was used on the new image. 
      - PI's HDMRT was used on the Lum to increase the contrast (before I used the PS High Pass Filter)
      - PI's Dark Script Enhance was used to enhance the galaxies dust lanes.
      So, still a mixture of PS and PI but now with more PI.
      Alan
      (My original result from 2.5 years ago is in the album Deep Sky II). 
    • By AstroAndy
      Hi all
      My recent rendition of the Triangulum Galaxy (M33, NGC 598) in the constellation Triangulum at about 2.5 million light years, luminance, 20x5min., Atik 314L at -10 degrees, SW200P, guiding w/ 9x50 finderscope and PHD2, no flats, altogether 100min. worth of exposure. I had to do an awful lot of wizardry to get rid of light pollution effects.
      Andy
       

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.