Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Setting up PlateSolving in Astrophotography Tool (APT)

3 hours ago, Sidecontrol said:

just looked it up and it doesn't, sad times, but i did get EQMOD and Sterallium set up so i'll be using that for now. 

Even if APT can't directly control the camera, you can still use it to platesolve and sync the mount. Slew to your desired target and take an image and save it to the pc as a jpeg. In APT Image tab, navigate to the same jpeg and solve it. As long as APT is connected to the mount, it should be able to sync the coords solved from the jpeg. Repeat the process until your actually on target. Using Stellarium or CdC would also help as a visual aid as to where you are pointing after each solve.

7 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Even if APT can't directly control the camera, you can still use it to platesolve and sync the mount. Slew to your desired target and take an image and save it to the pc as a jpeg. In APT Image tab, navigate to the same jpeg and solve it. As long as APT is connected to the mount, it should be able to sync the coords solved from the jpeg. Repeat the process until your actually on target. Using Stellarium or CdC would also help as a visual aid as to where you are pointing after each solve.

Yeah could try that cheers, I tried out EQMOD and sterallium tonight. Picked a target in Sterallium and my mount moved to the target, although it didn’t look like it matched up 100% might have my elevation wrong. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 27/04/2019 at 21:05, david_taurus83 said:

I've seen a few threads where people are struggling to setup the platesolving routine in Astrophotography Tool.

David, what an absolutely fantastic post this is! Stuff explained so clearly and comprehensively is absolute gold dust to beginners like me. This stuff can be very frustrating and intimidating when you're starting out, but I got it working perfectly thanks to you!

No more hand controller and 2 star aligning! I can now just point the scope somewhere, plate solve and align! Just like magic!

Thank you 👏

• Like 1

On 27/04/2019 at 21:05, david_taurus83 said:

I've seen a few threads where people are struggling to setup the platesolving routine in Astrophotography Tool.

Quick question... Is it sufficient to enter my scope's focal length in APT? Or is it essential that I also set it in the various plate solving apps too? (as that's another thing to remember when switching telescopes on my mount)

6 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Quick question... Is it sufficient to enter my scope's focal length in APT? Or is it essential that I also set it in the various plate solving apps too? (as that's another thing to remember when switching telescopes on my mount)

just enter fl in Apt creating a profile for each telescope /camera combination you use,

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

just enter fl in Apt creating a profile for each telescope /camera combination you use,

Thanks. The reason I ask is that ASPS seems to have a focal length box in the settings dialog. But maybe I just ignore that, do i?

3 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Thanks. The reason I ask is that ASPS seems to have a focal length box in the settings dialog. But maybe I just ignore that, do i?

Put the focal length and pixel size/sensor size into ASPS as it needs that info the install the correct catalogues. 

• Thanks 1

y

2 minutes ago, StuartT said:

you only need that for the indexes if memory serves me right, configure apt to use ASTAP i find it more reliable and faster  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Put the focal length and pixel size/sensor size into ASPS as it needs that info the install the correct catalogues. 

Ok. But do I need to change it in ASPS each time I use a different scope? Or only change it in APT?

17 minutes ago, StuartT said:

Ok. But do I need to change it in ASPS each time I use a different scope? Or only change it in APT?

I can't honestly remember. I've usually only worked with 1 scope and focal length at a time. Set it to your primary scope anyway and if it gives you issues with a change of focal length just change it again. I find its the focal length in the Tools tab of APT that needs to be right.

• Thanks 1

When doing the first stage of this (entering the telescope profiles in APT's Object Calculator) it only seems to let you save the focal length, not the aperture for some reason. The aperture has to be entered afresh each time. It would be better (surely) if you could save both aperture and focal length for each of your telescopes?

Untitled-1.jpg

Edited by StuartT