Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
Stargazer33

Upgrading from my QHY5LIIc - help appreciated!

Hi, this question has probably been done to death here, but can I ask the community to help me decide on a new camera?

After struggling with my very glitchy QHY5LIIc camera for a while, as well as having a forced break from astronomy, I have decided to get a new camera. After all the problems I've been having with the QHY, I really don't want to use this manufacturer again. I know lots of people use them quite happily, but once bitten ...

I have been looking at the ZWO cameras - OSC, as I haven't the time, clear skies, or patients to do LRGB imaging!

I have about £250 to spend, which I may be able to push to £300 if I wait a bit. ? So I've been looking at the ASI224MC, ASI290MC and the ASI178MC cameras.

I mainly do planetary/Luna imaging, but I have also dabbled in a bit of DSO and would like to continue with both. I have a C9.25 and a ST80 guide scope. I know these aren't ideal for DSOs but please humour me!

I think from the specs/information that the 224 is probably the best option. Although the resolution and QE are the worst of the three, the well depth and read noise are the best and the fps is pretty good too.

I don't know if there are better/cheaper cameras using the same chips, such as Altair's range. I just don't want to make the same mistake that I did with the QHY!n

Any help/advice you can give will be much appreciated.?

On 27/04/2019 at 15:41, Stargazer33 said:

have about £250 to spend, which I may be able to push to £300 if I wait a bit. ? So I've been looking at the ASI224MC, ASI290MC and the ASI178MC cameras.

You are not the first person I have heard complain about that exact camera. I would probably go with the ASI224mc if it was me it's a big step up from the QHY. 

• Thanks 1

I have the same qhy camera and I would agree with your comments I don’t think it’s so much a hardware issue more a software issue and I too will move on to zwo when the time comes. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments/thoughts. I was going to buy a 224MC off UKAB&S but the guy couldn't wait for the end of the month and my pay day and sold to someone who had the funds ready to go! Shame because it was a good deal. 

My wife and I are going to New York in September so I might see what I can pick up in NYC! I don't think they do the Zwo brand in BH Photo or Adorama, but I'll have a look if I get time.

None of the options you are looking at are cooled cameras. So on that basis I'd suggest another uncooled camera, an OSC one ...... a modded DSLR.

Hi, no the cameras mentioned are not cooled, but as stated in my original post, I only have about £300 to spend. A cooled camera would be considerably over my budget.

I have got a modified Canon 1100D which I have made a coolbox for. Again, as stated in my OP, I am unhappy with my current high frame rate camera and I'm looking to upgrade that as I mainly do planetary/luna imaging, but also want to try imaging some of the brighter DSOs.

Just got confirmation of dispatch of a Zwo ASI385MC from Zwos Ali Express web site! 😬😱

It's $369.00 or about £294.00 so just under my upper limit. Here come the clouds! 😉☁🌩🌧

385MC

Logo-of-385(最新)2-e1510124117631

Edited by Stargazer33
Link added
  • Like 1

I was looking at the ASI385MC too, for planetary, and have just looked at the listing on Aliexpress.  Any idea whether you'll get clobbered with import duties?  I'll be fascinated to hear your thoughts on the camera.

Hi, still waiting on the camera. I have to say that the tracking information from AliExpress is pretty poor. It doesn't update for days! The last information I have is that it is awaiting customs clearance; which was posted on 25th - now 29th!!! Not sure if I'll have to pay import duty or not, or how much it might be. I will post more when I receive it.

Hi, camera arrived today. A little over 3 weeks from order. I paid £297.35 for the camera; I had to pay £24.00 import duty/tax and I had to pay £12.00 to Royal Mail for a 'handling fee'!!!

So a total of £332.35! I saved myself a grand total of £2.65 and have had to wait 3 weeks and have worried all that time about the authenticity of the site, delivery etc.

Conclusion: in future I will buy from Flo; get it next day or the day after and have full peace of mind that if there is anything wrong then I can return it easily.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Matt Hayden
      Hello!
      What with all this locking down business and home schooling my ten year old son, I have dusted off my TAL-1 and created a slightly less than ideal setup in his room. The westward facing window has been providing great views of the moon and venus over the past week. Obviously doing this indoors is not great (the floor is pretty solid, as is the TAL stand!) but it does mean we get to use the scope every evening, rather than going through the process of carrying the whole rig outside every day.

I have a T-mount converter for my old-ish Pentax k-M DSLR, but have quite disappointing results with the camera, when compared to the observed image using the eye. The eyeball view is nothing less than banging - crystal clear detail with a 25mm eyepiece, strong contrast - it's spectacular. I add the camera with an eyepiece inside a tube, and can't replicate the same result, or anything like it. It's OK, but not good enough.
      I've cleaned the eyepiece today and collimated the scope. The primary mirror looks fine other than a couple of tiny dust particles, no scratches or weirdness on the coating. The camera is working pretty well as far as I can tell. Apart from a little clumsy-ness with the adjustments, the clarity in the eyepiece suggests it's all working fairly well. Photo attached of best result from last night.
      My question is: is this a focusing issue or some sort of aberration? Should I expect focusing to be difficult in the camera eyepiece? What's going on?! Does anyone have any other tips I can try to get this working better?

• By MrGuGuZai
      Hi, my current telescope is Celestron ExploraScope 70AZ, thinking upgrade to skywatcher heritage 130P(came with 25mm ajd 10mm EP) ,  if i do, can i use the eyepiece (4mm) and x3 barlow from my old celestron on the 130P?
      One more question, i ordered a eyepiece camera Svbony SV105, i wonder what is magnification of this camera and how it work to change magnification. 

• By rockmattstar
      I have a nexstar 6se and I love it. I've only had it about a year and it's my first proper telescope. Every opportunity I'm out in the garden both looking through it and attaching my dslr to the back for fainter objects.
      I'm noticing I'm getting movement in the longer exposure photos and after a bit of googling I think it's the mount.
      So I'm looking to upgrade. I'm thinking something a little future proof but I'm not made of money so decent, reliable, cheaper end but good enough for astrophotography and with the possibility I might continue to add bits and pieces. 
      What do I need and how much am I looking? Help thanks in advance.
    • By JoshHopk
      Hello all,
      This is my first post on SL, so please correct me if I have started this topic in the wrong place. I am also relatively new to astrophotography, so please ignore my naivety!
      I had some clear skies last week, so decided to do some lunar imaging with my new(ish) ASI224MC. I captured my frames in SharpCap as RAW24 AVI files, stacked in AS!2 and processed in Registax and Photoshop. When i got to sharpening in Photoshop, I noticed a sort of mosaic pattern over the image, which took away from some of the detail, and really ruined the image the more I sharpened. I did a quick search and it turned up with 'debayering'. This is a completely new concept to me and all of my attempts didn't seem to improve the image at all (perhaps I was debayering in the wrong order?). I have attached some images and also my some of my SharpCap settings in case they are of help.  
      COLOUR SPACE: RAW24
      CAPTURE ARE: 1304x976
      OUTPUT FORMAT: AVI files (*.avi)
      EXPOSURE: 0.29ms
      GAIN: 282
      Thank you in advance
      Regards, Josh.

• By rgrickert
      Hello
      I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion that might help me
      My imaging set up is an RC reflector with an FLI proline 16803 camera and 50mm Astrodon filters (LRGB + 5nm narrow band)
      I have had a string of issues...everything from my mount had mechanical problems to my telescope had issues with the mirror cell to some family distractions...but at long last I seem to have everything working with the exception of the Astrodon Ha filter.
      Attached are representative 30minute subframes of the horse head and Pacman nebulae in Ha, SII, and OIII.  I get similar results with different objects although for bright, broad spectrum targets like M42, I will get data from the Ha filter (much as the stars shine thru on the HH and Pacman) although even that data does not comport with other imager’s Ha images of those objects. The LRGB performance appears to be normal.  My hypothesis is that this Ha filter is defective, perhaps not centered on 656.3nm
      I have contacted Astrodon and exchanged a couple of emails with Cary Chleborad seeking some help.  At first he claimed there was no issue because with enough manipulation some data could be extracted from the Ha. Later, when confronted with the other narrowband frames and the obvious difference to the Ha, at first he ghosted me, but when I said I would ask other imagers for help, he responded with a new position stating that because of the way the filters are made and their robust quality processes, it is impossible for the filter to be defective and therefore something else must be at issue.  He does not offer a suggestion of what might be the problem, nor is he interested in having me send the filter back for evaluation. Frankly, I’m more than disappointed given the premium I paid for Astrodon filters
      All that aside, and taking Cary’s position at face value, does anyone have an idea of what might cause this behavior other than the filter?  In a perfect world, does anyone live in the Austin, Texas area who would be willing to try my filter one night and see what they get with their equipment?
      The attached link is to the raw, uncalibrated files right off the camera.  I think a simple blink process in PixInsight will show what I’m talking about.
      I’m a little at my wits end, please help!
      https://www.dropbox.com/sh/60mvhzb717hdhnl/AACcAMkQdDsJuk1RU10PXvgja?dl=0

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.