Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p_winners.thumb.jpg.b3d48fd93cbd17bff31f578b27cc6f0d.jpg

MBJ

Quark chromo or prominence - apm 152

Posted (edited)

Im thinking of getting a quark after owning a few solar scopes.

I have currently an apm 152 f7.9 refractor.

Would a quark work on that scope,which is best for prominence and surface detail and would i need anything else as ive heard about front mounted erf,s being expensive but some people use normal 1"25 uv/ir filters on the back end.

Edited by MBJ

At 152mm you would need a front mounted ERF. The alternative I guess would be to stop down the scope to around 100mm and use a UV/IR cut filter. Up to about 100-120mm you can get away with a UV/IR cut filter

• Like 1

With that scope, I think it would be worth considering quark combo instead of regular quark.

Quark combo does not have built in telecentric lens - meaning that you need to provide it with F/25-F/30 beam to work properly.

Your scope has 1200mm FL, right (can't find APM 152 F/7.5, but there is F/7.9 that has 1200mm FL)? With such focal length you can view full disc if you make it F/25-F/30. You would need just DIY aperture mask for that - no need for telecentric lens in that case. Something like 40-50mm will give you F/30 or F/24 and will provide resolution of smaller solar scope like PST.

For higher power viewing, you can make 80mm aperture mask and add x2 telecentric lens (ES has nice ones at x2 and x3) and use 2" UV/IR (or 35nm Ha) at diagonal before quark combo. Other option would be 120mm mask and x3 telecentric. These two will give you 2400mm and 3600mm FL both at F/30 - for higher power viewing and more resolution.

• Like 2

At first I thought @vlaiv idea was a crazy one, but having read through it again it does make sense :)

If you were going to get a full aperture D-ERF then then you may as well get the normal Quark as you will always need the Barlow effect to get the correct f ratio, but if you are stepping down so you can use a smaller filter, having the flexibility to operate with different telecentric optics seems like a clever plan! Full disk (admittedly with lower resolution) up to higher power at 120mm aperture would be fun.

I use a Baader 2" 35nm HA filter in my 152mm f/5.9 refractor, Quark chromo produces super surface details and good proms, I have tried a Quark prom version which showed better proms than the chromo version but poor surface detail so not worth having the prom version and sacrificing the surface detail IMHO.

Also bear in mind that there is no such thing as a standard Quark, they are very variable in the quality of the views although they all presumably pass the Daystar QC :rolleyes:

Dave

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I use a Baader 2" 35nm HA filter in my 152mm f/5.9 refractor, Quark chromo produces super surface details and good proms, I have tried a Quark prom version which showed better proms than the chromo version but poor surface detail so not worth having the prom version and sacrificing the surface detail IMHO.

Also bear in mind that there is no such thing as a standard Quark, they are very variable in the quality of the views although they all presumably pass the Daystar QC :rolleyes:

Dave

Does the 2" filter screw onto the barlow and do you not use a front mounted erf?

2 hours ago, MBJ said:

Does the 2" filter screw onto the barlow and do you not use a front mounted erf?

I use an 80mm extension when  imaging and the filter screws into the front of it, for visual it screws into the diagonal.

No front ERF needed.

Dave

• Like 1