SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Guide camera refuses to connect anymore

Red meteor

My ASI120MM (USB 2 version) guide camera has been in use for 2 to 3 years without any issues, but recently it failed to connect to PHD2. I tried with Sharpcap and that too failed to connect. Sharpcap recognises the camera but gives an error message when it is selected. I also use Sharpcap on another laptop and the camera is working normally on that PC, so it must be a software issue with my observatory laptop. I have been in touch with support at ZWO who were helpful but finally admitted they could not find a solution.

The drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled and tried different versions but still have the same problem. Below are screen shots of the camera properties in device manager. I think the key to the problem is on the events tab in the information box - "Device USB/VID_03C3&PID_120A/00000 requires further installation".

I would be very grateful if anyone can explain what has happened and suggest a solution.

ZWO120.pdfZWO120.pdf

Edited by Red meteor

Hi

These problems can be infuriating. It's always worth disconnecting the camera to make sure the camera is powered off and any changed drivers can take effect. Likewise, cold boot the computer. If you think it might be linked to a windows update then rollback and disconnect from the internet to test. Of course, make sure cables and connections are good and usb power is maintained (any camera power led should be on :) ).

Good luck!

Louise

Thank you for the suggestions Louise. I think I have tried all these.

I am not now convinced that it is caused by a Windows update as I have tried the camera by installing the drivers and Sharpcap on another Win10 PC and it works fine. Both PC's had the same Win10 updates installed. It is starting to look like I will have to get all my software changed over to a another PC.

Have you tried booting into safe mode and doing the driver uninstall/install there?

Also worth trying turning off anti-virus for the uninstall/install and then enabling it again afterwards.  AV can cause problems with some installations.

16 minutes ago, Red meteor said:

Thank you for the suggestions Louise. I think I have tried all these.

I am not now convinced that it is caused by a Windows update as I have tried the camera by installing the drivers and Sharpcap on another Win10 PC and it works fine. Both PC's had the same Win10 updates installed. It is starting to look like I will have to get all my software changed over to a another PC.

It's most likely a usb problem. You could try uninstalling the usb ports in device manager - they will reinstall on reboot. Sometimes connecting a usb 2.0 device to a usb 3 port can cause problems with older laptops. Having an unshielded usb cable near a mains/switching psu cable can result in comms difficulties. It's just a question of narrowing the problem down and being methodical :)

Louise

It's worth checking if you have "Windows 10 N"?

image.png.cb90fb1a008175e1fbb996b9bb146cf7.png

With my experience as I mentioned above, the problem was with this version of Windows.  It's an EU version of Windows 10 that I think is  different because of the EU competition laws about things that are installed by default.  My solution was to switch to a normal version of Windows 10.  It was very wierd and frustrating.

in Windows 10 Device manager, do you see the camera appear when you plug it in?  And disappear when you unplug?  Tried different USB ports?

Remove camera, uninstall the driver, reboot and then reinstall driver again before connecting the camera again and see if it reappears.

There is a reason it is called Plug and Pray.....

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all for the input.

Not Windows 10, not drivers, not usb and still not really sure what happened.

A friend suggested trying the ZWO camera software and that was working. I then updated the software for Sharpcap and PHD2 and both are now obtaining images from the camera. Have not actually done any guiding yet but should now be back in business. Touch wood!

Best wishes to all.

Graham

1 hour ago, Red meteor said:

I then updated the software for Sharpcap and PHD2 and both are now obtaining images from the camera. Have not actually done any guiding yet but should now be back in business. Touch wood!

Now would be a very good time to take a full backup!

I had similar problems with my camera, all sorts of weird things going on which I don't really understand as not really up to speed with computers, that was with a Windows 10 system, reverted back to a laptop with Windows 8 but I'm running out of space so will have to update soon.. It was like ascom stopped talking, run the diagnostics and didn't flag up anything..then it would run for a while then repeat the whole thing...Did my head in..

Nobody (I don't think) has suggested changing the USB cable. This is a certain early step to take. The cable might work in one PC but not in another. Never expect rational behaviour from USB products.

Olly

17 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Nobody (I don't think) has suggested changing the USB cable. This is a certain early step to take. The cable might work in one PC but not in another. Never expect rational behaviour from USB products.

Olly

Indeed! Not all usb cables are made equal. The properly shielded ones are the best and, the longer the cable i.e. >3m, the less reliable its operation. I did mention about cables in my post.

Louise

• Like 1