Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

Chefgage

Lens advice for moon photography

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Here's one I did a few years ago. This is handheld autofocus at 600mm with a Canon 6D and Sigma 150-600 lens. As you can see, 600mm handheld is certainly not a great combo. This image is the full image without cropping IIRC.

558957344_munhandheld@1x.thumb.jpg.648cd96accb2a9223b722f71823dee4a.jpg

Edited by Datalord
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well the 70-300mm lens has arrived. Just need favourable conditions now. I might go to the local lake and take some pictures of the ducks. They dont mind it being cloudy ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, here a photo,(200, stacked) with my canon 77D , with 250mm lens.

 

CC3555DF-8961-47C8-A9AF-472C85466F4E.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest chaz2b

For me personally, I’d like the scenery to be out of focus, thereby commanding my eyes to solely enjoy the directed image of the moon.

I can stay up for hours enjoying the moon, but I like to have some scenery for it to play hide and seek behind too!

My school art classes had me painting a scene of a blue moon over looking some castle ruins, with its reflection  casting across a partially drained moat. It’s the blues from the moonlight I most enjoy.

 

chaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, chaz2b said:

For me personally, I’d like the scenery to be out of focus, thereby commanding my eyes to solely enjoy the directed image of the moon.

I can stay up for hours enjoying the moon, but I like to have some scenery for it to play hide and seek behind too!

My school art classes had me painting a scene of a blue moon over looking some castle ruins, with its reflection  casting across a partially drained moat. It’s the blues from the moonlight I most enjoy.

 

chaz

Ah, well here’s some out of focus Christmas Lights on our hedge. :) Samyang 135mm F2 lens. I have posted it before but thought it was a similar sort of thing. :) 

27B22230-ACF9-424E-B64D-319E252340D1.thumb.png.9c8f3cb6961e3c1b378f84fbaa1b6069.png

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest chaz2b

It makes exactly my point, it just draws me to the moon.

cheers,

chaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Scooot said:

Ah, well here’s some out of focus Christmas Lights on our hedge. :) Samyang 135mm F2 lens. I have posted it before but thought it was a similar sort of thing. :) 

Nice shot, good to see creative compositions like this one.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2019 at 23:06, Scooot said:

Ah, well here’s some out of focus Christmas Lights on our hedge. :) Samyang 135mm F2 lens. I have posted it before but thought it was a similar sort of thing. :) 

27B22230-ACF9-424E-B64D-319E252340D1.thumb.png.9c8f3cb6961e3c1b378f84fbaa1b6069.png

I was thinking about this. How to get the scenery and moon both in focus. Then i saw a few photos and like you have shown it looks better with the scenery out of focus and the moon in focus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have finally managed to get out and test the new 75mm to 300mm lens that arrived a few weeks back. I have not had chance to get a shot of both scenery and moon. I have only done the moon full frame. Anyway here is one of the moon at 300mm in the day time and one at 300mm at night.

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Edited by Chefgage
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chefgage said:

I have finally managed to get out and test the new 75mm to 300mm lens that arrived a few weeks back. I have not had chance to get a shot of both scenery and moon. I have only done the moon full frame. Anyway here is one of the moon at 300mm in the day time and one at 300mm at night.

IMG_0707.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

Very crisp!  Great shots, look forward to more.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Your Brest and cheapest choice is the ef-s 50-250mm , they are cheap and you get a very good results after staking. But if you're planning to make DSO in future, you would by an EF lens. 

This image was taken with EF-S 50-250mm lenses.

Best regards

B0858788-2445-4BE8-9DB9-6A563A227801.jpeg

Edited by OJ87
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/04/2019 at 23:06, Scooot said:

Ah, well here’s some out of focus Christmas Lights on our hedge. :) Samyang 135mm F2 lens. I have posted it before but thought it was a similar sort of thing. :) 

27B22230-ACF9-424E-B64D-319E252340D1.thumb.png.9c8f3cb6961e3c1b378f84fbaa1b6069.png

I missed this before now.  It's a lovely shot.

James

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OJ87 said:

Your Brest and cheapest choice is the ef-s 50-250mm

Agree it's a good low-cost lens, but it's not necessarily the best budget choice. There are some decent 400mm m42 lenses out there which will give better results on the Moon if you can nail the focus, as I said in my post above mine cost £10 from a charity shop. That said, I was lucky to find one for that little and the ef-s 50-250mm is a better all-round lens, with its auto-focus, image stabilisation and larger aperture.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.