SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tracer 12v lithium batteries

What is your experience with the small Tracer 12v lithium batteries?

My new manually driven dobson will have a mirror cooling fan and, although I might not using it, I would like to think ahead about potential power sources. 

What are your recommendations for a small power supply?

Thanks,

Piero

Edited by Piero

Hi Piero. I use an 8Ah Tracer battery for my dew heaters. It’s worked very well for that purpose. Easily lasts for the whole session (4-5 hours) running dew heaters for 2” eyepiece, Telrad and 9x50 Finder. I don’t think it even drops below the full battery indicator though it only have 3 levels it reports. Comes with a car charger too if you need to charge on the way to a dark site. 

• Thanks 1

I have one of these bad boys (22Ah) version and it was stupidly brilliant. Kept the charge for a very long time. Had to sell it in the end as i started using the mains power. I'm sure the new owner is enjoying it as much as i did but i highly recommend these.

• Thanks 1

I have the 8ah Tracer and use it for my newts fan. It comes with a cable that ends in 12 volt cigar female socket. So the cable from your newt would end in the standard male 12 volt, like the ones with a satnav. Just ensure your cable from the newt has the correct fuse. My original cable for the fan ended in spade connectors so I chopped them off and wired in a 12 volt male socket. 

Excellent battery and life! 

DSC_0088.JPG

Edited by JG777
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, JG777 said:

I have the 8ah Tracer and use it for my newts fan. It comes with a cable that ends in 12 volt cigar female socket. So the cable from your newt would end in the standard male 12 volt, like the ones with a satnav. Just ensure your cable from the newt has the correct fuse. My original cable for the fan ended in spade connectors so I chopped them off and wired in a 12 volt male socket. 

Excellent battery and life! 

DSC_0088.JPG

Awesome! Thanks for the photo too!

34 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

Personally I would cut both wires at the red lines - solder the connection and heat shrink it. 

Mostly because I hate fag lighter connections with a passion !! 

tracer.JPG

Thing is I use the battery to power a dew heater/controller as well for my C9.25 so would need extra cables  from the battery, and I already have a drawer full of cables half of which I'm sure I have never used ?