Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_supernovae_remnants_winners.thumb.jpg.a13d54fa405efa94ed30e7abd590ee55.jpg

Altocumulus

All I need is a bit of luck....

Recommended Posts

...sadly missing for a few years.

It seems my Lunt 60 has an issue with stray light, and it may have been there since new - as I've never managed to get an imaging session that yielded anything.

I blamed myself, my inexperience, my camera but not the scope, nor my patience :D. I started with the neximage5 but the image was way too bright, so a kind soul sent me an old ZWO 120mm and

it didn't improve matters. Time went on and I treated myself to a new ZWO 174mm-cool and no joy.

I sent a snapshot last week to ZWO and their interpretation was that reflected light bouncing in the image train - makes sense now I look at it!

Nothing said, yet, from Lunt and, in any case, the 'scope is probably out of warranty - yes I've lost that amount of time!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reports on here suggests that Lunt customer care and support is pretty good, though I can't speak with regards to whether they will fix it FOC.

I know that they are good with replacing the rusted blocking filters even out of warranty. 

Hopefully you'll get a response soon. 

Ade

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ade, I normally get good responses from either Jennifer or Faye, so hopefully as the Easter break moves on ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the snapshot I sent to ZWO and Lunt .... I don't think it's etalon related (decontacting??), although the 'scope views as though it's in a white mode! (I get better views from a herschel wedge on a 4inch refractor!). Pressure holds steady, except at around 17.5psi when it fluctuates +/- .3psi.

There's no change to the illumination when I twist the camera in the holder, and it is always greater on that right hand side, blowing in as exposure increases to try and see the limb activity. It seems on reflection (!) to be light leaking in around the blocking filter - but I can't do any testing as the weather's turned for the next few days

.Capture_1.png.2588f318031aa513a53fe47af9b1979c.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The blocking filter lens looks to have furred over and needs replacing - it happens regularly with these scopes - Lunt will send you a free replacement even out of warranty. Whether that's wholly responsible for the problems you've encountered with your images I'm not sure. Are you using an external pressure tuner, because I have to increase the pressure to 22/23 psi on mine to get best results? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Job to tell from that image but it doesn't look to be tuned, may be a good idea to get new O ring and grease.

The blocking filter filter looks to need changing which as said you can do yourself or if you don't feel confident you can send it to Bresser in Germany for fixing.

Dave

Edited by Davey-T
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks - and yes it seems it is that lens that needs replacing. A replacement is being sent for me to fix!

@Davey, the etalon keeps its pressure, I can can tell through using the pcusb controller - interestingly the controller comes with a couple of spare o-rings. Useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Highburymark said:

The blocking filter lens looks to have furred over and needs replacing - it happens regularly with these scopes - Lunt will send you a free replacement even out of warranty. Whether that's wholly responsible for the problems you've encountered with your images I'm not sure. Are you using an external pressure tuner, because I have to increase the pressure to 22/23 psi on mine to get best results? 

I have only the single stack. Interesting you have to get such a high pressure, I've only ever found one other to give a reading and they said around 17-18 for a sweet spot. I've been upto 23psi without seeing any difference - so fingers crossed and it is down to this mucky green filter.

 

Not looking forward to changing it, the process has been described as simple/straightforward with clear instructions. :D

Edited by Altocumulus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/04/2019 at 10:46, Altocumulus said:

I have only the single stack. Interesting you have to get such a high pressure, I've only ever found one other to give a reading and they said around 17-18 for a sweet spot. I've been upto 23psi without seeing any difference - so fingers crossed and it is down to this mucky green filter.

 

Not looking forward to changing it, the process has been described as simple/straightforward with clear instructions. :D

I know - the guide says between 10-20 should be all the pressure needed but I normally get best results above that.I think the filter change is relatively simple - but hope it works for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2019 at 08:20, AdeKing said:

Reports on here suggests that Lunt customer care and support is pretty good, though I can't speak with regards to whether they will fix it FOC.

I know that they are good with replacing the rusted blocking filters even out of warranty. 

Hopefully you'll get a response soon. 

Ade

It took longer than I ve normally experienced, but they agree it's the monster from the green lagoon trying it on....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us know how you get on with swapping the filter and whether it solves the issue when it arrives.

Ade

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Faye writes that Lunt believes (!?) it's moisture related and can take upto 2 years to show.

What's it made of? Mica or other organic material that obviously (?) can't be replaced by something more versatile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.