Narrowband

AP Setup Help Please

Hi,

just got myself a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT and would like get into Deep Sky photography, Im aware that:
> I'll need an EQ Wedge (already ordered) to use with the Goto EQ (North) setup.
> Adapter to connect either my Canon 1300d or 200d (prime)

Now to my questions:
# will the 127SLT accept a 2" T-Ring or is it limited to 1¼" ?
# is prime the best route? i've heard that the resultant images will contain better colour than DSLR minus telescope
# with EQ wedge/Goto and prime - what are longest realistic exposure times, how much of the rotation issue will still exist?
# if the EQ/Goto combo is likely to work well - would I be better with long single exposures, or multiple short exposures

thanks for any help.

21 hours ago, brenski said:

Hi,

just got myself a Celestron Nexstar 127 SLT and would like get into Deep Sky photography, Im aware that:
> I'll need an EQ Wedge (already ordered) to use with the Goto EQ (North) setup.
> Adapter to connect either my Canon 1300d or 200d (prime)

Now to my questions:
# will the 127SLT accept a 2" T-Ring or is it limited to 1¼" ?
# is prime the best route? i've heard that the resultant images will contain better colour than DSLR minus telescope
# with EQ wedge/Goto and prime - what are longest realistic exposure times, how much of the rotation issue will still exist?
# if the EQ/Goto combo is likely to work well - would I be better with long single exposures, or multiple short exposures

thanks for any help.

Which wedge are you going to use with the SLT mount ?
T-rings are a standard size. One side matches the camera lens mount and the other side threaded M42x0.75mm. The 127 should have a short tube that screws into the rear of the telescope which also has a matching male t thread on the other end. There is also a Celestron t-adapter for the telescope https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/celestron-maksutov-t-adapter.html
The telescope has a focal length of 1500mm so you might find the targets available to you limited.

Well, this scope is marketed as being good for observing details on the lunar surface, Venus and its phases, polar caps on Mars, Jupiter and its four moons, Saturn with its rings and much more! I.e. its key use is viewing (and possibly imaging) our solar system. Deep Sky generally means outside our solar system. When beginning with with Deep Sky photography a reasonably fast scope (e.g. f#5) and not too long a focal length (e.g. 400-700mm) help with keeping exposures to a manageable length and also with equipment stability issues. You have realised that an equatorial mount is also necessary to allow longer exposures.

With its long focal length (1500mm) and slow aperture (high f#11.8) this scope isn't very suitable for DSO imaging. The alt/az mount, even with a wedge, won't be very stable or accurate. It will be difficult to produce DSO images with this setup.

If your aim is solar system imaging then a webcam is better than a DSLR (video rather than still images are taken) and this setup should be suitable.

See this thread for more info: https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/225638-can-i-use-a-celestron-nexstar-127slt-for-astrophotography/

I'd suggest, rather than spending money now, as a start, get a dovetail, fit a camera quick release plate system to it, and mount your camera with lens directly onto the AltAz mount. The light weight will help relieve the pressure on the drives. Make sure that the balance is a little to the rear as it'll keep the drives fully engaged. Even in Alt Az you can achieve passable images, up to 2 minutes low in the east and west. Take a look at the posts in

It's not ideal, can be frustrating, but it's gear you have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jgs001 said:

I'd suggest, rather than spending money now, as a start, get a dovetail, fit a camera quick release plate system to it, and mount your camera with lens directly onto the AltAz mount. The light weight will help relieve the pressure on the drives. Make sure that the balance is a little to the rear as it'll keep the drives fully engaged. Even in Alt Az you can achieve passable images, up to 2 minutes low in the east and west. Take a look at the posts in

It's not ideal, can be frustrating, but it's gear you have.

would something like this do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Piggy-back-Camera-holder-with-Dovetail-clamp-for-Counterweight-Shaft/391489920219?epid=1174630978&hash=item5b269e1cdb:g:fJkAAOSwUlRbuDTo

is there an option where i can still use the scope for seeing, with the camera piggybacked?

or does that dovetail do that also?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dovetails-saddles-clamps/astro-essentials-vixen-type-photo-dovetail-bar.html

if not, what would i need to piggyback the dslr to the tubering?

i found this...  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telescope-Piggyback-Camera-Mount-for-Skywatcher-or-Celestron-127/401754070071

but think it maybe not sturdy enough?

Edited by brenski

Welcome to the hobby. As you can tell already now, the money sinkhole is opening beneath you.

I would very strongly encourage you to fully separate visual from imaging. Don't try to make a visual setup good for imaging. I went that way on a NextStar 6 with an alt-az, buying wedge and adaptors and blah blah, only to 6 months later flip the table and buy a small refractor. I made it work for what it could, but it was a waste of money.

IMHO, cancel your order of a wedge and buy the star adventurer. If budget allows more, use it all on the best mount you can afford. Use a regular lens and plan your first upgrade to be a filter drawer and NB filters. With such a setup you can go nuts in large nebulae and learn the processing skills, which in the end will take you at least as much time to master as the the data acquisition. Going really deep to galaxy hunting is where your money will disappear at astonishing rates.

• 2 months later...

Hi

lots of great advice.

so, if I keep imaging and visual separate of each other:

■ Seeing: my nexstar 127SLT is good for visual?

■ Imaging: I've (following some recommendations) got myself a Pentax Takumar 200mm F4. I intend to use this with my Canon 200D on a very sturdy camera tripod - hopefully to get some nice clear DS images (nebula etc).

I was looking at this Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini  as my AP tracking mount. However, I've been advised I'll need a better mount as, this mount will likely only be good for 100mm lenses. So, what's a decent (but not bank-breaking) alternative mount?

Hold fire read,  Making every photon count  by Steve Richards you make save yourself a lot of grief and money , 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

Decide what your after and have a look on https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?minprice=0&maxprice=1000000000000000&cur_page=0&sort=id+DESC 

plenty of good used equipment for sale .

hi, yeah I do already have that book - but every piece of equipment seems to cost a proverbial arm and several legs.

I've had advice that the Pentax Takumar 200mm f4 is the perfect lens for AP - but if 200mm breaches the "tracking limitations" (100mm is recommended by Steve Richards) - then how is the 200mm Takumar supposed to achieve its high accolades for AP?

is this about tracking issues with that lens, or is it about the mount alone? if so, which mount would make the Takumar the goto for AP?

On 28/06/2019 at 12:55, brenski said:

Hi

■ Imaging: I've (following some recommendations) got myself a Pentax Takumar 200mm F4. I intend to use this with my Canon 200D on a very sturdy camera tripod - hopefully to get some nice clear DS images (nebula etc).

I was looking at this Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Mini  as my AP tracking mount. However, I've been advised I'll need a better mount as, this mount will likely only be good for 100mm lenses. So, what's a decent (but not bank-breaking) alternative mount?

20 hours ago, Datalord said:

200mm for untracked AP seems optimistic at best. Have you looked at things like the iOptron skyguider pro?

wasn't planning "untracked" - my post above suggested the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer. But I was told that the Takumar 200mm would be asking too much of that tracker mount.

■ would the takumar 200mm work better with the iOptron skyguider pro?

■ what software would i use with the iOptron skyguider pro?

Edited by brenski

5 hours ago, brenski said:

wasn't planning "untracked" - my post above suggested the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer. But I was told that the Takumar 200mm would be asking too much of that tracker mount.

■ would the takumar 200mm work better with the iOptron skyguider pro?

■ what software would i use with the iOptron skyguider pro?

Ah, ok, makes sense. I don't have firsthand knowledge of them, so I can't tell. But a quick search on astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/gear/25666/skywatcher-star-adventurer/

Check out those pictures and the gear they used.

As for software, I can again only use my own preferences.

• I use Astro Photography Tool for camera and acquisition. $18 per year and I find it better than, say, MaximDL which I had to purchase for $500 for my ASA mount.
  • PixInsight is my preferred tool for processing, a bit of a dog to get started with, but excellent tutorials around and it made a giant difference for me.
  • Photoshop for the final touches on my images.
  • Carte de Ciel, free planetarium software for setting targets for the mount.

While it may feel bad to pay for all this software, your final picture is a result of your processing skills as much as your acquisition. It literally takes years to get good at it.

• 2 weeks later...

just got myself the Sky Watcher Star Adventurer Pro - this is the one with the better tracking capabilities.

have been told one of these Surveyor Tripods:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/surveyors-tripod/254296551970

is the best bet for a more solid base. question: are there adapters that will affix this tripod to the Star adventurer?