Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
eshy76

Eta Carina Nebula and the Southern Cross from Mauritius

Hi everyone!

I was lucky enough to spend Easter in Mauritius and managed to get a night of imaging in despite the tropical night time clouds! As someone who lives in the Northern hemisphere, the Carina nebula has always been a target I've coveted, but during my holiday, I also loved Crux as prominent constellation in the Southern sky. So when I ran into polar alignment issues with my Skyguider Pro, I decided to play it safe and go for a wider field, capturing both those targets rather than focusing purely on Carina as was my original goal.

This was shot from my father in law's rooftop in Bonne Terre, Vacoas, Mauritius and my basic polar alignment meant significant field rotation, but I still got some usable data. Cropped, processed and finally upsampled.

Data was shot at f/2.8 with a 50mm lens, unguided on an unmodified Sony a6500. 174 lights at 30 secs each = 1.4 hours of integration. Bortle 5.

From the colours it looks like these objects sit right on the disc of the Milky Way and I know there is more in the picture I haven't mentioned!

Thanks for looking!

412578003_SouthernCrossandCarinaNebula18-04-19-750x468.png.a494b816cd2a6b7ccc716773fa52c024.png

• Like 6

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By kuvik
      Hello!

I'm from Hungary. This is my first post. I am glad to be here.
      Recently I'm trying to sketch some deep-sky objects. I've made this observation yesterday. Cygnus was near to the zenith and the sky was pretty dark.

NGC 7000 is one of my favourite target. I like to observe it with any telescopes, especially with RFTs and with UHC filter.
      Please excuse my language errors.

Gyuri
    • By Eta Carina fan
      Hi. I live in Santiago, Chile, and on a recent trip back home to the US, bought a new Explore Scientific Exos100 PMC mount, to use here for AP with my DSLR and AT72ED scope. I have the ExploreStars app  installed on my iPad, and it links fine, with slewing controls working from the tablet. My problem is, despite the fact that the app displays correctly my southern hemisphere location, the mount tracks as if it were in the northern hemisphere. I cannot find a hemisphere switch on the unit (like found on my SW Star Adventurer). I have written to ES but so far, no response.  I am hoping to connect with EXOS100 users in So Africa, Australia or other southern hemisphere locations, to learn directly from them how they overcame this issue.  Thanks!
    • By Andywilliams
      Last week on august 5th we were treated to a coronal hole followed by some G1 auroral activity here in New Zealand.
      Unfortunately I live a bit too far north to capture the spectacular Auroral images.
      However, ever the optimist, I set my canon 6d with a Samyang 14mm lens up in my backyard and captured 300 or so shots (20 seconds at iso 3000) which I then sent through to lightroon timelapse.
      I'm quite pleased with the result. Definitely some colour there.

• By Panda Alvin
      Attention: The quality of this video here has been reduced due to file size restriction. A slightly better version can be found unlisted on YouTube (308mb).  

Description:
      A series of time-lapse short videos set in different locations within South Hampshre at night. All scenes were taken between a Bortle 4-5 area, and each clip equates to 5-6 hours in real time. Please check your volume as this video contains music.

Equipment / Software:
      Canon 550D
      Tokina AT-X 11mm - 20mm
      Vixen Polarie
      Adobe Lightroom
      Adobe Premier Pro

Special Thanks:
      Alexander Blu - Background Music

====================
      Note: My first time producing a proper time-lapse video. Unfortunately the amount of noise and hot pixels were much worser than expected when I reached the video editing stage, and I need to learn how to apply darks against individual frames en masse. I am not personally satisfied with the final quality, but still thought I should share with what I have on here.

Please feel free to leave a comment, critique, suggestions and guidance on here, thanks!
    • By harshit8
      Second attempt at astrophotography with my canon 1300D untracked (first was orion ). Shot under dark skies of himachal pradesh (India). 
      Stacking done in DSS and processing in Gimp.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated. especially regarding the trees at the bottom.
      Total exposure time - 20*20 seconds
      Shot with - Canon EOS 1300D (untracked) (unmodded)
      Flats and Biased frames included

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.