Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Prolifics

Eqmod and Poth help please.

I will try and keep things simple as possible.

I am trying to run Stellarium (Via Stellarium Scope) and APT together. I know you can't share com ports via Eqmod so I am trying to run via Acom Poth Hub.
Question is where do I setup the poth Hub from? I am guessing I select Poth Hub from ascom setup or is it from Stellarium Scope or APT?

Once I have Poth running do I use Poth Hub in all the programs or Generic Hub? I can not find alot on this on the forums or web. It's not clear.
I have tried a few times but I seem to get crashes or errors.

Kindest regards David

Hi David.

POTH (Plain Old Telescope Handset) is more of a developer tool, think of it as a mail sorting office with the added benefit that you can read and rifle through the incoming and outgoing messages and only choose to deliver the messages you think fit. With logging enabled it is a great resource to help with ASCOM driver development etc.

There is no reason for you not to use POTH it is just more difficult to set up when presented with all the capabilities that POTH has.

You will find a help document for POTH under All Programs > ASCOM Platform 6 > Scope-Dome-Hubs > POTH Help.

To use it for your purposes you make no changes to the options in the POTH control window, all settings should be left at default but rather, in the client program(s) APT, Stellarium etc you have to choose in setup POTH as the Telescope, and optionally, POTH as the Focuser, & Dome.

Each time you make a selection of POTH in the client program as the device being connected to, the POTH setup window will open where you choose the actual telescope driver, EQMOD in your case, and optionally focuser and dome drivers if used.

You only need to set up the actual device hardware drivers in POTH once, so if you open APT and choose POTH, set up POTH for the EQMOD driver, focuser driver and dome driver, if applicable, then in Stellarium Scope just set POTH as the "Telescope"  there is no need to repeat the actual device driver selection again as once selected in POTH it will be the same for all client software connecting to it.

To use POTH you do nothing other than connect to the "Telescope" plus "Focuser" & "Dome" if used, in the client software which will then connect to POTH and POTH will relay the messages back and forth between hardware device and client software. Do not try to manually connect to the Telescope, Focuser or Dome from within POTH unless you want to actively test the ASCOM drivers etc.

When used for actual mount control, when you connect to the "Telescope" (POTH) from inside APT and Stellarium Scope the POTH window will launch, you need to minimise this to the bottom tool bar on the desktop, or hide it out of the way on the desktop and do not interact with it at all, however the program, must remain "open" otherwise POTH will not work and your client programs will have nothing to connect to.

As an alternative, the ASCOM "Generic Hub" does all the above but without the developer tools and log tracing that are included with POTH. Setup and use of the "Generic Hub" is exactly the same as it was for POTH and you will probably find it does everything you need with less user "options" to get in the way.

HTH

William.

• Like 1

Hi and thank you for the detailed description.

I am still a bit lost how do I setup Poth from where? I have tried to go into ascom diagnostics and setup poth hub from there but it loads up eqmod window and it disappears again. I get the bit about the applications just running poth hub from them.

Could you give me a numbered rundown on what to do?

Kindest regards David

Edited by Prolifics

Hello David,

You must not share the COM PORT in STELLARIUM and APT.

You only need to share EQMOD in STELLARIUM SCOPE+APT.. since EQMOD is able to handle multiple connections..

This is what you do.

1) Connect APT via EQMOD with the same ASCOM driver for your mount. and connect.

2) Do the same with   Stellarium Scope and then connect..

And both "APT + Stellarium Scope " will talk to each other without involving  POTH

Try it, IT WILL WORK, since it dd work for me also..

Cheers

Martin

Edited by artem
  • Like 1

Hi Artem

Okay I understand that but still not clear to me. When I go into APT and choose scope by clicking Shift+scope what should i exactly select? I am using an eq6 Pro older type?

Just tried it with eq5/eq6 eqmod and didnt work on stellarium connection. I have pc direct mode on too via the handset for eqmod.

I have been working on this for 3 days solid now this is not the only problem I have. I was using the skywatcher mode perfect without pc direct mode on except it wouldn't slew in apt fast enough. Even though I changed the slew settings in apt to 800 on minutes and seconds. Also using this mode would allow me to show sky from apt on stellarium it would not slew on stellarium.

Edited by Prolifics

Hi David,

Ok, That is easy, let us check which software you did already install.

But before we start, which Mount do you have ??

Thank you

Martin

• Like 1

EQ6 Pro, windows 10 64 bit

Installed ascom latest, stellarium and stellarium scope, APT, ASPS (dosnt work) and platesolve 2 (does work). Plus all my camera, mount and guidescope drivers

Hi David,

You did install

ASCOM STANDARD latest version ? https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/releases/tag/Build_2695

EQASCOM latest version ? https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/EQASCOM_V200q_Setup.exe/download

Then do the following..

1) How do you connect the EQ6 PRO ?? connect the mount and then find out which COM PORT your mount is using on your PC!

then open EQASCOM and make sure the COM PORT is correctly assigned there.. 

If that is the case, open APT and chose the connection as ASCOM and then EQMOD " you should see the list of available EQMOD in APT DROP DOWN LIST "

Try it ! please..

Do not worry about stellarium scope or ASPS now, connect the mount via EQMOD to your PC that is the initial step .

Cheers

Martin

Edited by artem
  • Like 1

Hi I connect to the eq6 pro via usb to handset adapter. It works on Com7. OK I already have EQascom installed i forgot to mention it.

When I go in APT one of the options to connect is EQmod Ascom Heq5/6 is this the one i select?

Hi David,

Well, if that is what is stated in your drop down list  Ascom Heq5/6, then YES..

NO RISK NO FUN 

Try to connect and see if connection takes place between APT and your MOUNT.

Cheers

Martin

Edited by artem
  • Like 1

OK i connected APT via the EQmod Ascom Heq5/6 option and the ascom window comes up scope parks and unparks fine etc and slew on direction buttons work fine.

However if I use the arrows to slew in APT its really slow like rate 1 on handset or less. This was one of the problems i was getting before :)

Thanks and appreciated for the help :)

3 minutes ago, artem said:

Hi David,

Well, if that is what is stated in your drop down list  Ascom Heq5/6, then YES..

NO RISK NO FUN 

Try to connect and see if connection takes place between APT and your MOUNT.

Cheers

Martin

I have about 12 options thats the only one i can see makes sense.

• Haha 1

Hi

and now try to connect " during the mount if connected to APT via ASCOM " to STELLARUM SCOPE..

open Stellarium Scope and chose the same ASCOM DRIVER " MOUNT " you did connect via APT also in Stellarium Scope

and then make sure you make the same steps indicated in the document below.. 

http://welshdragoncomputing.ca/x/st/misc/stellariumscope_user_guide.2015.10.24.pdf

Once done, try to connect Stellarium also " while APT is also connected " to the mount " makes sense." ?

Cheers

Martin

Edited by artem

When i try and connect stellarium scope and choose the same option , I clicked on properties and the ascom setting window came up which is all fine and pressed ok then when i try and connect I get this message. I have tried it unparked too. This is where i got to yesterday.

image.thumb.png.be2609610f742fabf0fd334c40687008.png

Edited by Prolifics

One important issue, once you did decide which mount you will use, CLICK on 

UPDATE STELLARIUM CONFIGURATION

and then once done,. click on CONNECT

see if that works

Cheers

Martin

image.png.7d4c7fea3a38b7e1fbe0c6aebedd8426.png 

And by the way, if you want your mount to move at a higher slew rate, then change the value here. ( but UNPARK it before you do that ):thumbsup:

image.png.e95a7fa9c1e1e02b43712e745f8950b9.png

Edited by artem

yes i updated the slew and works fine like I said nut not the slew in APT

OK i disconnected APT completely and shut program down.

Now i can't not connect to Stellarium Scope via eqmod which was working this morning. I get a window but not responding maybe something in my ascom settings.

I could always connect via eqmod to either APT or Stellarium scope but never both at once. Now I can not connect to Stell Scope at all. I have deleted .ini files ran and closed Stellarium etc.

image.thumb.png.2618f92becc7e803f1eb8f024c6e9edd.pngI could connect

Hi

The SLEW in APT is another issue, I personally, never use the SLEW option in APT but directly via the EQMOD.. works better..:thumbsup:

The EQMOD window is anyway always open when you use APT and also STELLARIUM.

Important is, that you know how to connect EQMOD with both APT and STELLAROUM.

I will try to find how to make the mount slew at higher rate in APT.. Did forget this part..

But all details you need are available in INTERNET, also how to get your mount slew at a higher rate using APT..

Cheers

Martin

image.png.df83e94e8e9a9a6be855167f7328c8f5.png

There is an otion under APT settings to alter the slew minute and second rates but changing this has no effect.

I have eqmod flashing on my system and closed it down via task manager and it keeps appearing and nothing running weird.

OK gonna do a system reboot. :(

OK.. do y system reboot..

The best would be if you just read the documentations from EQMOD and APT and STELLARIUM SCOPE..

I know, it is not easy.. but all details you need are available online..

Cheers

Martin

5 minutes ago, artem said:

OK.. do y system reboot..

The best would be if you just read the documentations from EQMOD and APT and STELLARIUM SCOPE..

I know, it is not easy.. but all details you need are available online..

Cheers

Martin

Hi thanks for the help. I need to get other things done now. I can't no longer connect to Stellarium Scope no idea why. I tried to connect yesterday between apt and stellarium scope it would not allow 2 connections. I will try and sort this a bit later have a good afternoon :)

Regards David

1 hour ago, Prolifics said:

I have eqmod flashing on my system and closed it down via task manager and it keeps appearing and nothing running weird.

This happens normally because you have closed the application (Stellarium or APT) ,which was connected to the ASCOM driver, before disconnecting from the Ascom Moun driver - in your case EQMOD. Thats a no no  - Ascom drivers become "disconnected" and "confused"

Plus no need for POTH !     EQMOD and other Ascom drivers are normally written to share the device .

The work flow is 

1. Start Stellarium + Scope (OR APT ) and connect to the ASCOM driver - NOTE its the Ascom driver that connects to the hardware (i.e. COM port)

2. When you connect to an Ascom driver via the Ascom Chooser Menu(which will appear)  you choose the driver (i.e. EQMOD) and then click properties on the Ascom chooser window (this is only needed once per session) and the EQMOD connection windows will appear - this is where you select the COM port which has the USB Adapter/Mount cable connected to it (Device Manager will show which it is if you use FDTI/CH340G/Prolific chip in your USb Adapter - note yellow ! means no driver or a problem - sort this out first)..    NOTE if your Ascom EQMOD starts flashing on / off (3 times I think) at this stage it cannot connect to your mount - check mount switch on and cables in place AND you have chosen the correct COM port.

3. If you connected APT in (2) now connect Stellarium or visa versa - no need now to click Properties on Ascom Chooser Menu as its already set up in (1). Do not choose anything different in the Ascom chooser - i.e. Ascom EQMOD in (2) then it has to be Ascom EQMOD in (3) - then click OK no clicking properties button no need.

4. Use your scope on a wonderful clear night  -no moon taking lots of pretties - ok dream on.

5. To close down its the reverse  - so if you opened with Stellarium ( both Stellarium and Stellarium Scope) then APT  you should first close APT down then Stellarium(s). 

If you use anything else e.g. PHD2 connect to the same Ascom driver - EQMOD in your case - and follow the same principles.

May I also suggest that you install another Planetarium such as CDC as a back up - just to make sure an update to the software (Stellarium) hasn't caused a problem now or in the future. Even if you never use it again unless you have a problem.

Stellarium/Scope is so "user unfriendly" and awkward IMHO why don't they merge the 2 parts - even if the application itself is more informative .

May I also suggestion that ,if you have't already done so, doing your  work flow during daylight as many times as possible so it becomes 2nd nature - nothing wrong with have the work flow written down - I did for a while . 

P.S. Never assume anything with the COM port numbers - they may not be the same as last time you used your kit. Connect your cables for the mount first and get it working first then add and connect your other software that uses COM ports (e.g. Filter Wheel etc). If you have a perm set up they odd on the COM port number will stay the same.

Once its working every time then change the slew speed as suggested by previous posts.

Edited by stash_old
  • Like 1

And David,

Yoi did also write " ASPS " does not work or solve ?

From yoir profile, I see that you indicate to have " TS-Optics Photoline 107mm f/6.5 Triplet FPL53 APO with 3" Dual Speed Rack & Pinion CNC Focuser  + ZWO ASI1600MM-PRO COOLED Deep Sky Imaging Camera "

And when you insert the specfications of your telescop + CCD in ASPS; you will see hat you need to install the iNDEXES highlighted as yellow..

Once you did install those, then plate solving should work " if you use a picture taken with the setup you have "

It works for me, every time I solve an Image I did take with my setup. ( FOV ) and I only use ASPS..

Good liuck

Martin

image.png.488fe9fa0c11b9fd0716fd65779e43e9.png