SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher 150p

Demonperformer is spot on, last thing you want is a very capable scope on an undersized mount, shaky, wind sensitive and hard or impossible to focus the likely results. 

Best of Luck and Clear Skies of course ?

Freddie...

• Like 1

I think that it is undermounted even the EQ3-2. 

An EQ5 would be its own for visual, IMO. And for astro photo, I use my 150pds on the HEQ5. 

The EQ2 is not an option for this beauty! 

Fabio

P. S. Unless you're  planning to use it ONLY for visual, why not considering the PDS version? I have read that the 150p won't focus with a camera, so it's less future proof. 

Edited by FaDG
  • Like 1

I don't know about the 130p, but I do know the 150p will be too much for the EQ2, however it is fine and steady on my EQ3-2. Even so I do not like EQ mounts much and would suggest an AZ alternative, though not sure which one and I will watch any further comments with interest. :smiley:

8 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

Im thinking about getting the skywatcher explorer 150p ota and was wondering if i would be able to mount it on and eq2 mount 

ROFL! I used to have an EQ2 clone and it was wobbly with a 70mm lightweight refractor.

I recommend an EQ-5 or AZ-4.

3 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

How would the 130p cope

My imaging journey started with a 130 reflector on an EQ2. When the scope was touched it would wobble for a number of seconds, making it pretty awful for visual. Imaging was better as there was no need to touch the scope and it did ok once the wobbles settled down. However, there are a number of other shortcomings with the EQ2 that restrict its use for imaging.

The 130 reflector now sits on an EQ5 - very stable for both visual and imaging.

70/900 refractors seem to weigh around 1.6kg, whereas a 150P weighs around 5 kg - too much for an EQ2.

2nd user equipment is often good value and can be a good way to upgrade. 

Edited by bobro

The Celestron 130 f5 reflector comes on a "CG3" which confusingly is much more akin to the EQ2 than the EQ3. To echo whats been said the 130 was at the top end of what the mount could cope with. Someone once nicely discribed the operation as "nervous". The EQ3-2 is altogether better and will handle the 130 f5 no problem. The 150mm F5 will go on the EQ3 providing its not loaded up with lots of heavy add ons and is OK ish for visual. In terms of an AZ mount I found the simple AZ4 worked nicely enough. If there is some thoughts of AP and the 150P-DS I'm guessing that at least an EQ5 will be preferable.

If he OP is anxious to avoid spending money on a mount for a 150mm reflector he should consider a Dobsonian, where the rather basic mount is effectively thrown in for free, or make his own.  Making an alt-azimuth mount for a smallish reflector is not beyond the capability of the average DIY-er.

9 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

If he OP is anxious to avoid spending money on a mount for a 150mm reflector he should consider a Dobsonian, where the rather basic mount is effectively thrown in for free, or make his own.  Making an alt-azimuth mount for a smallish reflector is not beyond the capability of the average DIY-er.

And if it is a solid-tube ota, it could be mounted on a solid EQ mount at some future date when finances allow, if he wanted to go that route.

I had the 150p on a eq3-2 mount which to be honest was still a bit shakey I ended up getting the HEQ5 tripod to make it steadier.

As they say the mount is everything the 150p is a great scope though let me know when your set up I will give you a few things to enhance the viewing.

Paul

10 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

ive already bought it i couldnt resist it for 75 quid of a friend

I hope you have better luck than some of the reports above.

A tip that might help if you do find it a bit wobbly ... hang a weight of some kind under the accessory tray, a bag of stones will do. This will lower the centre of gravity and help minimise vibrations.

Let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

Also diy anti vibration pads can be purchased as rubber furniture leg coasters or any bits of rubber about 1/4 to 1/2 inches thick to place under the legs, this will help to cancel vibrations and I highly suggest doing this as well hanging a weight as Demonperformer suggested just be sure the weight is not so heavy as to damage the tripod. Dont forget the used market for a better mount when you get about the finances for one and again, Best of Luck and Clear Skies of course...

Freddie.

Edited by SIDO
  • Like 1