Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Hey, I've been looking for a mount for my 8 inch skywatcher reflector for a while now and can't decide what mount to buy. The requirements i am looking for are the following:

Goto system or synscan 

10+ kg weight capacity 

Tripod

My budget is around £500. I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good mounts or point me into the right direction. 

My goal is to get better at astrophotography, my previous mount was a dobson mount ( which came with the scope ) but does not have any features to track objects which doesn't help when doing astrophotography. Tnanks

A used HEQ5 skyscan would work but that's a big scope to start astrophotography with.

Yep, have a read of 'Making Every Photon Count' by Steve Richard's before making any decisions!

Small scope, big mount seems to be the path most often trod to AP success!

Posted (edited)

Keep saving....

In the mean time use what ever camera you have in what ever way you can.

Edited by StarryEyed

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By David Ettie
      Anyone out there replaced the Motherboard on an Orion GoTO truss tobe Dobsonian, our Societys 16" started giving error messages stating it could not connect to either axis, we ordered and replaced the Motherboard which promptly "burnt" out, we are seeking a repair (believe this is basically a re-branded Skywatcher) any advise or help greatly appreciated.
    • By Davehux
      I've just blown all my pocket money on a Rowan belted HEQ5 Pro, so it's time to move on my trusty EQ5 GOTO, before my wife spots 2 tripods in my shed 😉
      I'm sure everyone knows these mounts, but just to say that it's in full working order, with just the usual wear marks here and there, and a few marker pen lines for Home and counterweight positions.
      Comes with 12V power lead and car cigarette plug, and sync lead with USB adapter to let you upgrade the firmware on the Synscan handset. It's currently at 4.39.05, which was the latest version a couple of months ago. There are 2 x 5kg counterweights as well.
      I still have the boxes for my HEQ5, so I could courier it within mainland UK only, but I've priced it up with a number of companies and it would cost £40 to send it. Obviously it's better if you can collect it from near Truro, Cornwall, but I know we're a long way from civilisation 😉
      Yours for a sensible £350 - a new one will cost you around £575 from most of the usual retailers. Paypal Gift or Bank Transfer most welcome
      Thanks for looking

• By Michael Hogan
      I have decided to sell my Cem-120 mount as i got a second hand AP 1100 GTO from my friend who got a new AP 1600 with encoders
      its just under a year old bought from Altair Astro so still under two year warranty is in mint cont i couldn't miss the opportunity to get
      AP 1100 GTO and let it go still waiting for pier plate for mount.
      So theirs no point in keeping two large mounts after i got my dream final mount buyer will pay shipping price is 2150 pounds.
      Altair Astro price without Ipolar Camera is 3250 pounds without Ipolar Camera which is 200 pounds total 3450 pounds

• By Clear Skies!
      I am going to buy Skywatcher EQ5 Pro Go-To mount. But, unfortunately, I am low on budget.
      So, does someone know where can I buy the cheapest EQ5 pro mount?
      Yesterday there was a low price for it (350 €), but they changed it.
      Thank you for your time!
    • By vineyard
      Hello,
      I have a mint condition HEQ5 tripod for sale.  3/8" thread mounting bolt, spreader bar, 1.75" diameter legs.  Its never been used (I got it as part of an overall package, but I already have a Berlebach I use).  Still with the original polystyrene at the ends in the box it came in.  These sell for GBP109 new.  Happy to sell it for GBP70 plus postage (which in the UK via hermes should be about GBP9) or to hand over boxed in person (London).
      I'm new on SGL so don't have ratings here, but I do have 100% ratings on eBay.  Figured I would offer it on SGL first as I enjoy the community.  If no takers, then will offer it on other sites.
      Cheers,
      Vin
      ***** REDUCED to GBP 70 + p&p as I have a ZWO I need to pay for   *****

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.