Narrowband

If Canon can, which Canon can?

Guest chaz2b

Guest chaz2b

I have two canon cameras, the 300d and 350d, in their day these were the bees knees and for AP work needs a mod, one has the other hasn’t.

so as a believer in being trained on using what you’re going to use, I need to know which Canon camera would be the better upgrade for AP. Cost will be a consideration, but I will want to use if for day time terrestrial as well.

I believe that newer models will have WiFi and that’s what I will need also, so I can control via my iPad.

looking into the various models available, there’s lots! I’m still none the wiser as to what is a good all rounder. Please don’t say there isn’t one, there is, but only a few select experienced users will know which one, and it’s those persons I’m looking for a reasonable answer.

As to price. It’s better if I’m given a short list to choose from, then I’ll enjoy the hunt for best price, ok, I’ll give a limit...£1500 MAX. Body only, I have lenses.

Ta for looking.

Chaz

Edited by chaz2b

Camera technology has moved on quite a bit since the 300D and 350D, wi fi control is very nice to have and I use it regularly but avoid the new mid range models that use the hybrid AF system as this has been known to cause banding on astro photos.

With your budget I would look at the Canon 80D as it does most if not all that a 7D 11 can do but with better noise performance and the benefit of wifi, Its probably worth a look at the 6D full frame range too if you have any compatible lenses.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

Guest chaz2b

Thanks Alan, will have a look as you say, my lenses are for  the two cameras I currently have .

mmmm, I’m liking the prices, might be able to afford a decent telezoom!

chaz

Edited by chaz2b

11 minutes ago, chaz2b said:

Thanks Alan, will have a look as you say, my lenses are for  the two cameras I currently have .

chaz

Hi Chaz, any Canon EF lens will work on APS-C and full frame cameras, the EF-S lenses are for the crop sensor APS-C only.

Alan

A mirrorless might be worth looking at. There's no mirror slap to cause shake. If Canon ones are like the Olympus ones, the shutter is entirely electronic, just like with dedicated astro cameras, but they undoubtedly have IR filters over the sensors. Then of course, there's the QE which isn't as good as dedicated, but newer cameras by Canon, and other makes have much better noise performance than your old 300D and 350D.

Looking at modern DSLRs vs dedicated cooled CMOS like the ASI 1600 I think the read noise and QE are closer than you would think, the real gain is with the active cooling of the dedicated CMOS camera. 

The 80D for example has a QE of 54% and read noise of 2.7e-  against a QE of 26% and read noise of 10.8e- for the old 300D 

This is a useful site for DSLR sensor information... http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/Sensor_Characteristics.htm

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

£1500 opens up a whole plethora of Canon body possibilities, especially when the S/H market is in play.

My studied advice is that a NIKON D750 body could free up some decent L lenses that I may go for. ;)

Best, Rich

4 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

£1500 opens up a whole plethora of Canon body possibilities, especially when the S/H market is in play.

My studied advice is that a NIKON D750 body could free up some decent L lenses that I may go for. ;)

Best, Rich

Confused now you mentioned the N word and L lenses in the same sentence although the L lenses work well on the Sony A7 :wink:

Alan

11 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

Confused now you mentioned the N word and L lenses in the same sentence although the L lenses work well on the Sony A7 :wink:

Alan

Well if he buys a Nikon he'll have no use for all those lovely L lenses, so I step in to save the day. ;) 

• Haha 1

Guest chaz2b

Ha! Think I’ll stick with Canon as everything I have is Canon. Please don’t confuse me with Nikon and Sony, simply too much choice as it is! 

I’m not a dedicated AP user, but I do have an i-nova PLB-Mx with peltier cooling to play with.

As it is, I’ve got time to decide, as my PO pension arrives on my sixtieth in June and will have that sum to barter with.

Friggin’ell...sixty yet still feel like 19....where did it go?

chaz

12 hours ago, RichM63 said:

Well if he buys a Nikon he'll have no use for all those lovely L lenses, so I step in to save the day. ;)

You dont need any more L lenses, besides you dont have enough camera bodies for any more :D

Alan

• 4 weeks later...

My full time job is a wedding photographer, I currently have a couple of 5D3's and a 5D4, before the 5D3's I had 5D2's and before that a 5D1, I also had a 40D but started with a 300D, I also have a 1DS-MKII which doesn't get used due to the low ISO capabilities but does take a lovely image.

Owning these full frame cameras (apart from the 40D & 300D) over the last 15 years, the key reason for me to upgrade has been the ISO and the focusing system, for AP the focusing system is not so vital but ISO is.

I can say anything before the 5D2's would have a lot of noise around and above 1600iso, a 5D2 would shoot with a some noise at 3200iso but can be improved in software, the 5D3 is fine at 3200iso with a little noise and can be pushed further, the 5D4 I regularly shoot at 6400iso for first dance images and now and again push it to 12800iso, again some noise but not too much of a problem with software.

Yes the 5D4 is best of the bunch but it was the smallest advancements over the previous upgrades, its better than the 5D3 in lots of small ways but not one big way. So if you want to get a good camera at a great price (around £1000 or less) that can handle decent ISO I would say go for a low shutter count 5D3, saying that one of my 5D3's has around 400,000 actuation's while the other is getting towards 300,000, both on the original shutter!

Of course all this is irrelevant if you want to stick with crop sensor based cameras but in general full frame bodies handle noise better..

Edited by murkey

31 minutes ago, Stardust1 said:

How about Canon 6D or 6D MKII? The 6d MKII has a flip out screen as a bonus. There are lots of nice pictures taken with the 6D. I loved my 6D with a small apo.

Good shout, I used one briefly but not long term but I was very impressed, TBH I would have got 6D's for my wedding photography had they had 2 card slots like the 5D3/4.

• Like 1

The Full-Frame camera may well be vignetted, but you can always crop, down to where you would probably crop with a APS-C.

Yes EF lenses may well be expensive, but Chaz is hoping to use his EF-S lenses, so maybe Full-Frame is out.

Michael

Edited by michael8554
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest chaz2b

Lots of info to mull over, many thanks guys, I’m still undecided, so I think the best thing to do is go to a star party or two, and chat with those who use them.

As I mentioned, I have the I-nova camera, AP wise, it’s light!

chaz

On 22/04/2019 at 18:58, chaz2b said:

I have two canon cameras, the 300d and 350d, in their day these were the bees knees and for AP work needs a mod, one has the other hasn’t.

so as a believer in being trained on using what you’re going to use, I need to know which Canon camera would be the better upgrade for AP. Cost will be a consideration, but I will want to use if for day time terrestrial as well.

I believe that newer models will have WiFi and that’s what I will need also, so I can control via my iPad.

looking into the various models available, there’s lots! I’m still none the wiser as to what is a good all rounder. Please don’t say there isn’t one, there is, but only a few select experienced users will know which one, and it’s those persons I’m looking for a reasonable answer.

As to price. It’s better if I’m given a short list to choose from, then I’ll enjoy the hunt for best price, ok, I’ll give a limit...£1500 MAX. Body only, I have lenses.

Ta for looking.

Chaz

You might be better off with two cameras one for astrophotography and one for daytime photography? I don't really think there is a camera that will do both well as you need to modify for IR if you want to get the best for AP and to be honest that does impact daytime performance. 

I have the 7D 1&2 and both are superb bodies, however I would go with the 80D, I have owned or used all of these right from 10D up to 60D and always found them excellent, it is just that bit newer than the 7's. I have a 1DS mk2 as well and have tried it on my scope and wasn't over impressed, though the 6D mk2 will be a better body in any case because of it being years newer.

Alan

• Like 1

Guest chaz2b

Well if I’m to go with two cameras, then having the I-nova along side the Orion g3 monochrome, I might as well stay with the 350d for daytime. The images are quite adequate for my eyes.

But I will look at the 80D as you suggest.

chaz

What are thoughts on the newish 250D?

I almost ordered an 80D today when I saw the 250.

It has Bluetooth, and weighs a lot less than the 80.  It lacks the LCD info screen.

If the noise is as low as the 80D, then it looks like a contender to me.

8 hours ago, don4l said:

What are thoughts on the newish 250D?

I almost ordered an 80D today when I saw the 250.

It has Bluetooth, and weighs a lot less than the 80.  It lacks the LCD info screen.

If the noise is as low as the 80D, then it looks like a contender to me.

A difficult choice but the newer 250D would have to go some to match the noise performance of the 80D which bettered the top of the range 7D mark 2, as a general rule of thumb an XXD camera will usually be better and offer more features than an XXXD one but there are exceptions and the gap reduces if there is an age difference between the two.

A couple of points in favour of the 80D....

It is weather proofed.

Has some of the advanced features of the pro cameras like micro focus lens adjustment..

I would look around and see if there are any reviews about detailing the noise performance of the new camera or any astro images taken with it.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13