Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A new lease of life for the Baader sky surfer

Pete Presland

I have been struggling a little to locate the Sun quickly using my Evostar 120mm. I wanted a Sol finder, but £40 does seem a little steep.

A quick modification of a faulty RDF.

The front cap is an old Focuser cap, rather fittingly its the one I partially melted when switching from my Lunt wedge to a standard wedge, without putting the telescope cap on first.

Simply drilled a 1.5mm hole in the centre and glued in position.

The rear is a piece of opaque plastic glued on the rear and "crudely marked" when I was satisfied the adjustment was possible. It worked a treat  on the first Solar session.

220456726_Baaderfront.thumb.jpg.466edd0b027508afe1bfa53044d99f83.jpg

1192470151_Baaderrear.thumb.jpg.d9dfa3d25b826557ed6d90bff65b99e6.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, skybadger said:

The current sky surfer 5 already does this for you. Probably saw your idea. 

Just had a look at it, WOW £88 a bit pricey ! Nice bit of kit though. I think I might seen them at Astrofest last year, didn't realise there was a dual purpose to them.

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/baader-skysurfer-v.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgZOogZrm4QIVSrHtCh1ulwXpEAQYAiABEgLIU_D_BwE