Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC4565 Mono

jeffwjz

Very nice Easter weather in UK so I can finally have fun with some astrophotography. First image with my recently acquired Atik 314L+ Mono. I took 10 x 360s mono subs of NGC4565 the Needle Galaxy with skywatcher 150pds. I just processed th e image briefly in DSS and PS. Still trying to pick up image processing, any advice on further process is very much appreciated! Thanks.

16bit.thumb.png.0b20f346b68a17cc8e695ed8402552ee.png

That looks great already. As a next step consider adding colour, and create an LRGB image. The background of your image looks very dark. Avoid clipping, try to keep the left side of the histogram well above the black point (intensity 0).

11 hours ago, wimvb said:

That looks great already. As a next step consider adding colour, and create an LRGB image. The background of your image looks very dark. Avoid clipping, try to keep the left side of the histogram well above the black point (intensity 0).

Thanks wimvb, indeed I'm looking to take colour filtered subs as next steps. I'm still doing some research regarding the settings of exposure time and binning etc. for colour subs. 

My advice: bin 1x1, and use (at least) double the exposure time of your L subs, as a starting point.

With my cmos, I've settled on 120 s L subs, and 240 s RGB subs. But I take a lot more L subs than RGB.

This a quick integration of 6 x 300sec  exposures at unity gain (139) at -20°C on my ASI1600MM with the ZWO RED filter, binned 1:1  The moon stopped me doing the others but I will be back out when possible.

NGC4565-Red-only.jpg

Archived