Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help.... First Stab At Solar Imaging Today.......

Mikey0368

It's wall to wall sunshine in Edinburgh today so I'm going to have a go at imaging the sun. I have an 8" Newtonian, a home made filter and I'll be using a modified Canon EOS 600D.

Could anyone give me some pointers re ISO settings and exposure length please? And do I need to be careful not to cook the camera?

Thanks.

20190410_145708.jpg

20190422_094244.jpg

Edited by Mikey07
  • Like 1

You shouldn't cook the camera as the filters will have removed all the dangerous UV and IR intensity from the light. You have done a really nice job on your mounting for the filters, they look great.

As tooth_dr says, there is plenty of brightness to play with, so use a low ISO and start at say 1/125th second and see how you need to change from there.

57 minutes ago, Mikey07 said:

Here's a JPEG that I got and I'm pretty happy with it. ISO100 and 1/1000 exposure.

Looks good just a pity that the nice sunspot has disappeared let's hope there's another on its way as it makes white light focussing easier.

Dave