Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Three Star alignment

Gerry D

Hi All,

This is my first post and question.  I've only been doing this for a few months and I want to ask about the proper procedure to complete a three star alignment.  It is my understanding that before you begin that the scope and mount must be in the "home position" everything in alignment  and pointing North.  I also understand that Polar Alignment is more critical than the three star alignment.  I order to do a proper polar alignment the scope must be rotated to view through the polar scope and set the reticle in the proper position.  So after you complete the polar alignment, you have to put the scope and mount back in the home position to do the three star alignment.  That being said, will moving the scope back to the home position ruin the polar alignment, or should you shut down the mount, move to the home position and then do the three star alignment.  I hope this makes sense and I explained my question good enough to get an answer.

Thank you, Gerry D 

Edited by Gerry D

Chris, currently I'm observing because I'm learning the proper techniques of the mount and telescope, but in the very near future (I hope) to start imaging.  I currently am using my Canon DSLR 70D but am considering on purchasing a dedicated imaging camera.  I'm looking at the Orion Star Shooter G4 camera as a purchase.

Thank you for your input.