Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

List of members equipment at foot of post.

It's just dawned on me that at one time members equipment was listed at the foot of their post. It's not done anymore. Can someone tell me when this was stopped please. I ask out of interest.

I think it depends on whether you're viewing the site on a mobile device or not. 

I'm on a mobile now and there is definitely no list on your post Carole or yours Geoff. 

Edited by AdeKing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Grumpy Martian said:

It's just dawned on me that at one time members equipment was listed at the foot of their post. It's not done anymore. Can someone tell me when this was stopped please. I ask out of interest.

If you viewing on a mobile device the equipment list isn't shown. Or you have switched on the option to hide all signatures

Thankyou for all the input. I am viewing on my android. I will check to see if I can alter the settings. 

Edited by Guest
Spelling mistake.

I used to list my equipment in the signature until told by my household insurance broker that many insurance companies no longer pay out on theft claims for high value items “advertised” on social media and that buried in the T&C’s they reserve the right to do this. Also, they, (the insurance providers), feel that showing high value items on social media platforms makes it more likely you may be targeted and if you are discovered doing this then your premiums will be set higher.

My own recent experience has shown how someone with malicious intent can track you down when using different social media platforms and devices, some of which reveal your exact postcode location to within a few house numbers. 

Not something I want to risk anymore.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, Oddsocks said:

I used to list my equipment in the signature until told by my household insurance broker that many insurance companies no longer pay out on theft claims for high value items “advertised” on social media and that buried in the T&C’s they reserve the right to do this. Also, they, (the insurance providers), feel that showing high value items on social media platforms makes it more likely you may be targeted and if you are discovered doing this then your premiums will be set higher.

My own recent experience has shown how someone with malicious intent can track you down when using different social media platforms and devices, some of which reveal your exact postcode location to within a few house numbers. 

I recently removed all from my signature for those very reasons, and two recent thefts from my drive helped me to make that decision. 

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

On 22/04/2019 at 00:37, SIDO said:

Never been to the desktop version of SGL and did not know one existed, another thing for the todo list I guess...

Here you go. This thread in mobile format, then I go to the three dots at the top right of the screen and select Desktop mode and that's what you get. All the info but very small. Of course you can put the phone into landscape which helps or just zoom in a bit.

EDIT added a pic showing the three dots!

Screenshot_20190423-082707_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190423-082720_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20190423-082734_Chrome.jpg

20190423_083126.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Oddsocks said:

Thanks for the alert, just edited my sig to remove list of kit.

• Like 1

Dave, what's that behind you in your avatar?

The insurer's argument is strange. I suppose they won't pay either if you use your telescope outdoors where all can see it? 

Come to think of it, membership of a place like this is already advertising that you have gear.

enjoy my list

• Like 3

Hmmm.....I take your point, though that photo was taken in Ruislip, I might have sold it by now.

May edit my avatar though, my ugly mug's been there too long.

Done

Edited by DaveS

No Dave keep your avatar, you are handsome enough, but get a better insurer if yours handles unreasonable terms.

Consumer Watchdog might be interested in this. Maybe they've already looked into the argument that people who have gear stolen should have kept it secret, if they wanted it to be insured.

• Like 1

That's a shame, if what has been said is true with regards to insurance.

They don't miss a trick, do they?!

I've always found it very helpful, when people are describing observation sessions to see what they have used.

Also when people suggest pieces of kit, to be able to see that it works well in a set up similar to yours is very useful.

People don't always include that info and I imagine that, even if they did, it would then still count as "advertising".

If it is true, it would make a great deal of what goes on here completely and utterly pointless! :D

"I've just bought this super bit of kit, but I can't tell you what it is. Also, I can't tell you what 'scope I used it in, but that's jolly good too. Please don't tell me what 'scope you have and whether I could recommend my super bit of kit for use with that! However, the Horse Head Nebula was totally spiffing!" :D :D :D 

I don't see how we could continue the review section.

I suppose we could redact all sensitive information. ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Oddsocks said:

I find this very strange. Why then, when I contacted an insurance company to insure my kit, they wanted a full inventory of all the equipment and its value ?  

20 minutes ago, Gina said:

Sometimes insurance isn't worth the hassle!!

A few guard dogs and lazer trips work wonders ;)  And the electric fence is such fun to watch on the camera playback ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a newbie who can't find the appropriate setting; I guess I need a minimum post-count for a signature option to become available?

Interesting comments re: insurance; but mine only wanted details of individual items above £2500; and that "does Sir take it outside?"

• Like 1