Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

wimvb

Sunflower Galaxy - last image of the season + raw data

Posted (edited)

This will be my last image this season. The moon is all too bright atm, and astro darkness ends in a few days.

This image was a real challenge, both in acquisition and in processing. I haven't completely tamed the MN190 yet, collimation is still a bit off. Visually it looks ok, but when I start imaging, I get star shapes that suggest that collimation is still way out. First I thought that it might be the addition of an oag to the imaging train that was the cause of it all, but I've now come to the conclusion that it actually is collimation.

Anyways, the details:

• MN190 on AZ-EQ6
  • ZWO ASI174MM-Cool at -20 C with ZWO filters
  • Guiding was a mixture of ST80 guidescope, OAG (the new ZWO version), and finder guider (9x50) with PHD2
  • L. 92 x 2 minutes, gain 20, collected April 15 under a 70 % moon
  • R, G: 30 x 4 minutes each, collected March 31 and during two nights in April
  • B: 22 x 4 minutes, collected March 31 and during one night in April

Processed in PixInsight

M63_LRGB_downsampled.jpg.a4fb7e29dfde74313fd3662674845b23.jpg

Larger version is here:

https://astrob.in/402098/0/

If anyone wants to have a go at LRGB processing, here's the raw data. Only crop and DBE applied. Have fun!

M63_R.tif

M63_B.tif

M63_G.tif

M63_L.tif

Edited by wimvb
  • Like 18

Very nice, Clerly your persistance payed off Wim!

Small issue: on my screen the blue stars (particularly the big one) look more liliac than blue, and some have a dark core (deconvolution effect?).

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Very nice, Clerly your persistance payed off Wim!

Small issue: on my screen the blue stars (particularly the big one) look more liliac than blue, and some have a dark core (deconvolution effect?).

Thanks.

The big star(s) needed repair and had very weird colour profiles. If you look at the raw data, you'll understand.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By wimvb
      For first light for my new scope & focuser, I decided to revisit this small galaxy in Lynx.
      Gear:
      SW Explorer MN190 on SW AZ-EQ6, with Pegasus Focuscube Camera: ZWO ASI174MM-Cool at -20 C, gain 20 Guiding: SW finderguider 9x50 with ASI120MM-S and PHD2 Software: INDI/Ekos for data capture, and PixInsight for processing Total integration time: 4.4 hrs
      L: 36 x 120 s R: 24 x 180 s G: 20 x 180 s B: 19 x 180 s
      (click on the image for a larger version)
      I hadn't quite anticipated the extra weight on my mount, especially the weight combined with the larger distance. I couldn't balance the scope even with the extension bar and both weights, so I had to improvise with a few clamps. I couldn't add the extra weight from the ST80. I had to guide with my 9x50 finder, which I normally only use for polar alignment.
      Also, today I noticed that the collimation still was a little off. It was WAAAY off when I unpacked the scope. The laser dot hit the primary about midway between the center dot and the edge. Collimation with the help of my barlowed laser put it quite close. Today I used a collimation cap to fine tune it.

• By wavydavy
      Heres my version of the flame nebula, take last month. Taken through my MN190, in h-alpha, the camera was an Atik 314 mono. Did this one last year, but more subs this time improved it from last attempt. 18 x 8 min subs...........

• By The-MathMog
      I'd been struggling with gettings subs longer than 60 seconds unguided, as I had to throw away over half of them. I suspected that it was due to periodic errors with the gears or similar with my Celestron AVX. I am using a 2.25 barlow, so my 130slt OTA was very prone to small errors. I looked into doing PEC training, and performed that on this night, and oh holy grail if that didn't produce miracles! I had only done two trainings and averaged them, and I then went from doing 60 second subs, and throwing half of them away, into doing 180 seconds unguided subs without hardly throwing any of them away! This really made me grin like a maniac that night, as it was just like flicking a switch and everything worked perfectly!
      So I immediately went to shoot a new target, which became M63. I had looked for galaxies to photograph and this one looked very appealing to me, from the images I found. I ended up gathering a total of 42 subs (+ the ones I ended up throwing away due to satellites, focus slip, dew on secondary etc), and 25 subs! There is still a lot of aspects I can improve on, but the simple fact that my capabilities took such a leap on one single night, simply amazed me, and definitely made up for the weeks on end that it has been cloudy/too windy! My polar alignment was very good that night, so I could probably have pushed it more, but I thought I should rather stay safe, and learn gradually.
      Processing is also something that still needs quite a bit of practise. I did like 5-6 versions of this one, and this is the one I liked the best of them.

42 Subs
      180s Exposure
      2 Hours 6 Minutes light data
      25 Darks
      Iso 6400
      Celestron SLT 130 OTA + Celestron AVX Mount
      Baader 2.25x Barlow
      Nikon D5200
      Nikon Backyard, Stellarium, Photoshop CS2

• By Northernlight
      Hi All,
      just wondering if Skywatcher is ever likely to do a carbon version of the MN190. I know Explore scientific do a carbon version but the focal length is too short for my liking and I can't afford intes micro scopes.
      Rich
    • By wavydavy
      M63 galaxy,taken over several nights, in LRGB, through a skywatcher MN190, an atik 314 mono. Could have done with more images per stack, but though it was worth a share being its the first time ive tryed proper colour. Each colour was between 12-15 at 6 mins.......

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.