Jump to content

Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_christmas_presents_winners.thumb.jpg.0650e36a94861077374d1ab41812d185.jpg

Recommended Posts

Hi guys 

getting totally confused none of it making sense anymore.

so when starting out ,roughly point north on mount and level it up with spirit level. 

Connect scope guide scope cables and then balance it all.

laptop and battery turn on and make sure mount main cam and guide cam all connected .

so back to mount/scope should the mount be at a angle so that the mounts polar scope has 0 at the top or weight at 6 o’clock and scope at 12 before u do pad on PHD2 have tried both ways and spent over an hour chasing stars into polar align box then redo pad and the box is not over star so have to readjust and this goes on and on . Not sure what’s happening I have polar aligned once with PHD2 perfectly and never again ( thinking now hot pixel). 

So I got fairly close so just thought I would see if apt would slew to item Ursa Major directly above my head and it ended up pointing west in to my house at that point I thought I would give up for a bit and have a cuppa .

any suggestions always welcome .? 

thanks Si

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To polar align - start by aiming mount north and up towards Polaris (not level) the scale on mount is a rough guide to Polaris elevation (use your latitude from Google earth or a GPS) then start the PHD2 polar align feature.

Your mount should be looking north and up ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

Fieldsy..I see you're from Kent, what part? 

Shooters hill/bexley heath

Edited by Fieldsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, knobby said:

To polar align - start by aiming mount north and up towards Polaris (not level) the scale on mount is a rough guide to Polaris elevation (use your latitude from Google earth or a GPS) then start the PHD2 polar align feature.

Your mount should be looking north and up ?

Yeah I start pointing up and north but it seems to wrong from then on ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are we getting star alignment and polar alignment confused ... Polar alignment allows better tracking of the apparent star movement while star alignment allows accurate goto. Also have you set the correct time / location on your mount ? Can't see the equipment you use as on a mobile device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, knobby said:

Are we getting star alignment and polar alignment confused ... Polar alignment allows better tracking of the apparent star movement while star alignment allows accurate goto. Also have you set the correct time / location on your mount ? Can't see the equipment you use as on a mobile device.

Hi knobby

It's a synscan goto using laptop and eqdir so cord and lat time come from that dont they.as for star alignment cant find that anywhere on phd2 or apt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The polar alignment routine in PhD2 is junk in my humble opinion. Just use the polar scope. If you want more accurate after that then the only thing that works for me in phd2 is drift alignment. But seriously just use the polar scope for now your doing 60second max exposures with guiding it's really not that critical. You have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The polar alignment routine in PhD2 is junk in my humble opinion. Just use the polar scope. If you want more accurate after that then the only thing that works for me in phd2 is drift alignment. But seriously just use the polar scope for now your doing 60second max exposures with guiding it's really not that critical. You have bigger fish to fry at the moment.

I dont have a frying pan big enough ?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of online videos on Polar Aligning an EQ Mount, much easier than trying to explain.

Michael 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do yourself a huge favour and shell out £10 for sharpcap. polar alignment is so much easier with that, you'll NEVER have to get on your knees and look through a poxy polar scope again. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

+1 for sharpcap, it takes me about 5 minutes or less for the PA. I also made some markings on the floor after i did my polar alignment and when i place the mount over them it gets me very near. Last tine i did this i got it within a 6' error. 

Edited by Atreta
Typos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

Do yourself a huge favour and shell out £10 for sharpcap. polar alignment is so much easier with that, you'll NEVER have to get on your knees and look through a poxy polar scope again. 

 

Just reading about sharpcap polar align not sure I've ever seen 15 stars in my fov.

32mm x120mm scope

4.83x3.63 mm chip size

Qhy5l-iic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might not but the camera will pick them up, just need to crank up the gain and go for about 1.5 to 2 seconds ( on the guide cam)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Just reading about sharpcap polar align not sure I've ever seen 15 stars in my fov.

32mm x120mm scope

4.83x3.63 mm chip size

Qhy5l-iic

Play with your gain and exposure. Be very surprised if you can't

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, knobby said:

You might not but the camera will pick them up, just need to crank up the gain and go for about 1.5 to 2 seconds ( on the guide cam)

Gain 100 1.5 secs .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just across the Thames from Bexley and Sharpcap static PA works fine with a finder guider set up

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Gain 100 1.5 secs .

Gain 100 on the QHY? I never go over 80% in PHD.

With that tiny ZWO guide scope you will certainly see sufficient stars.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well was going well .

I cant plate solve anything .if on auto runs for 3 mins+ then I just stop it

Or if blind solve it cant find apm? What ever that is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Well was going well .

I cant plate solve anything .if on auto runs for 3 mins+ then I just stop it

Or if blind solve it cant find apm? What ever that is

ok probably need a longer exposure for more stars

Make sure you are feeding it the current scope position as a starting point for solving.

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Well was going well .

I cant plate solve anything .if on auto runs for 3 mins+ then I just stop it

Or if blind solve it cant find apm? What ever that is

so second button down on point craft, says scope position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Well was going well .

I cant plate solve anything .if on auto runs for 3 mins+ then I just stop it

Or if blind solve it cant find apm? What ever that is

Also make sure that you have given APT the focal length of the scope (650mm) and the pixel size 2.4um in the tools tab.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Doh handy downloaded index  files.

? making progress oh wow 2 of 85 looks like I will just be doing this tonight then ??

Edited by Fieldsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Doh handy downloaded index  files.

? making progress oh wow 2 of 85 looks like I will just be doing this tonight then ??

your lucky tobe doing anything, nothing but cloud here.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.