SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A defect or am I being picky?

By the looks of it, it is the housing, not the lid that is deformed, so a definite and clear production flaw. 
This mount should be returned and be replaced by a new one.

Your consumer rights are very clear about issues like this!

If your reseller does not want to work with you, threatening him with a law suit will get him back on the right track.
Your bussiness is with the reseller, not the manufacturor, so he is the first responsible.

btw:  name and shame works, too...

Edited by Waldemar
typo's and adding
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, bokchoy ninja said:

Thanks for the reply. At this point I'm at the mercy of the supplier. I can't return it without risking a restocking fee so I'm just going to see what they can do in terms of replacing it or having it repaired.

Just sucks since I might have to wait weeks now to have a working mount, which I might have avoided by buying somewhere else. Just my luck I suppose.

The dealer should simply arrange a replacement and for the return of your current mount at no cost to yourself and at minium delay. If they cannot source a replacement they should arrange to have your curent mount collected and give you a full and prompt refund.

There is no justification whatsoever for a dealer to make life for their customers difficult or charging additional fees in these circumstances. The truth is that you see the true service quality of the dealer in the way that they deal with such incidents. Taking your money and getting the original thing you purchased to you is the easy bit IMHO.

If you start to fiddle with it or to DIY it you will only give the dealer "wriggle room" to get out of their responsibilities I'm afraid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John said:

The dealer should simply arrange a replacement and for the return of your current mount at no cost to yourself and at minium delay. If they cannot source a replacement they should arrange to have your curent mount collected and give you a full and prompt refund.

There is no justification whatsoever for a dealer to make life for their customers difficult or charging additional fees in these circumstances. The truth is that you see the true service quality of the dealer in the way that they deal with such incidents. Taking your money and getting the original thing you purchased to you is the easy bit IMHO.

If you start to fiddle with it or to DIY it you will only give the dealer "wriggle room" to get out of their responsibilities I'm afraid.

Thanks for the reply.

I've taken a bunch of photos showing that the issue is certainly a manufacturing defect, and am re-packaging the item as neatly as I can. Planning on going in on Monday to pretty straightforwardly saying: this is defective, please replace it or provide a full refund.

If they try to argue that it is not a defect, then I'm not sure what to do. But that would seem like a difficult case to argue given that the internal gears are literally visible. If they make me go through Orion's warranty then I guess I'll have to prepare for potentially weeks of waiting around for a replacement or repair, all the while being out $1k.

I'll make another post saying what happens. Maybe my faith in suppliers will be maintained!

1 hour ago, bokchoy ninja said:

...If they try to argue that it is not a defect, then I'm not sure what to do. But that would seem like a difficult case to argue given that the internal gears are literally visible....

I agree. There are plenty of photos of other mounts of the same type around the web that do not have a gap in that casing. If they claim that this is normal, challenge them to show you images of other new mounts that also have the same or similar gaps showing the gears. Keep the "ball" in their court :smiley:

2 hours ago, John said:

I agree. There are plenty of photos of other mounts of the same type around the web that do not have a gap in that casing. If they claim that this is normal, challenge them to show you images of other new mounts that also have the same or similar gaps showing the gears. Keep the "ball" in their court :smiley:

Do you happen to have any photos of this mount from a similar perspective?

Here you are. Please, take into account that mine is belt modded, so additional spacer inserted (lighter white) between the body and cover. 

Small space there, but gears by no means visible. For me, this is 100% still acceptable. 

Fabio_20190421_202344.JPG.f251e857e2380c9195577589f89ee137.JPG

Edited by FaDG

50 minutes ago, FaDG said:

Here you are. Please, take into account that mine is belt modded, so additional spacer inserted (lighter white) between the body and cover. 

Small space there, but gears by no means visible. For me, this is 100% still acceptable. 

Fabio

Thanks for the photo, but are you sure the gears aren't exposed? :)

19 hours ago, John said:

I've owned a couple of Skywatcher HEQ5's (which appear to be identical mounts apart from the colour scheme) and I've been looking around the web at photos of other folks Orion Sirius EQ-G's and neither my mounts or the ones that I have seen photos of appear to have a similar gap in the casing. So I don't think it is normal and, if I'd bought the mount new, I would ask the retailer to do something about it, ie: provide a replacement mount.

I can't see the point in us consumers having these protections and warrantys if we don't use them when there is a legitimate issue that needs to be dealt with.

Hi there, do you happen to have any photos of these mounts in similar positions to show that gear visibility is not normal?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, bokchoy ninja said:

Hi there, do you happen to have any photos of these mounts in similar positions to show that gear visibility is not normal?

Thanks!

I've not much time right now but here are 2 photos of EQ-G's and 3 of HEQ5's (all with no modifications as far as I know) that show that area of the mount with a reasonably tight fit between the motor cover (which I think is plastic) and the cast metal mount motor housing. The last image is large so you can crop it right down to feature details:

eqg01.jpg

eqg02.JPG

heq501.jpg

heq502.jpg

heq503.jpg

3 minutes ago, John said:

I've not much time right now but here are 2 photos of EQ-G's and 3 of HEQ5's (all with no modifications as far as I know) that show that area of the mount with a reasonably tight fit between the motor cover (which I think is plastic) and the cast metal mount motor housing. The last image is large so you can crop it right down to feature details:

Thanks. Although one of the images you posted seems to have the same visible-gears issue (cropped):

eqg02.JPG.7061fd4aa020b4678c14b43b41b25ffd.JPG.7c52322abef0205a5de8866e17b9ac0b.JPG

31 minutes ago, bokchoy ninja said:

Thanks. Although one of the images you posted seems to have the same visible-gears issue (cropped):

eqg02.JPG.7061fd4aa020b4678c14b43b41b25ffd.JPG.7c52322abef0205a5de8866e17b9ac0b.JPG

Well yours seems quite a bit worse to me but don't use that pic if you are not convinced by it. Good luck !

2 hours ago, bokchoy ninja said:

Thanks for the photo, but are you sure the gears aren't exposed? :)

Yes. Definitely. 

Furthermore, as I wrote, my mount has been modded exactly there. 

Don't hesitate so much to stand up for your rights!

The guy sold you a mount with a flaw! It is your right to get a new one or be reimbursed.
You do not need to show him all kinds of pictures to make your case

• Like 1

Just an update:

I went to the supplier's store and showed them the exposed gears. They agreed it's a serious defect and offered an exchange. They brought the one other available identical mount from the storage area and asked me to open it there to make sure it was OK.

Originally I wasn't impressed by the state of the boxes themselves (crumpled) and then even the interior styrofoam was broken and taped together (they verified it was a new item). Looking to see if it had the same exposed-gears defect, we saw that it did -- and that it was worse. Bigger gap.

He asked if I wanted them to order another one from Orion but at that point I was done, and asked for a full refund. I don't blame the supplier at all, but rather the quality control at Orion, which at this point has turned me off their Sirius mount product line.

I've since ordered an iOptron CEM25p, which I'm waiting to arrive. I chose this as it is roughly the same price as the Sirius,  has the same weight capacity, a guaranteed upper bound on periodic error (which tells me they stand by their QC), comes with a carrying case, includes GPS, and has a more intuitive polarscope.

Also picking up an Explore Scientific ED80mm Essential, so I'm hoping to get some solid photos next weekend :)

Edited by bokchoy ninja
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

I would have stuck with the Orion/heq5 - it's an imaging workhorse! https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/646638-cem25p-vs-heq-5/

Louise

Yes I read that thread and many other similar ones when deciding which to buy. Ultimately I decided to go with the iOptron because of the reasons I listed in my last post. 

I'm so sorry for your experience but luckily the seller has been great! 

You probably just ran into a bad stock, which for sure speaks against Synta QC. 

I got my HEQ5 used and could test it before deciding to keep it, so was sure it was ok: it's belt modded now and exhibits 23arcsec Peak-peak Periodic Error and guides better than 0.6" on nights with good seeing. So you see it's hit and miss! 

Best of luck with your CEM25p. 

Fabio 

1 hour ago, FaDG said:

I'm so sorry for your experience but luckily the seller has been great! 

You probably just ran into a bad stock, which for sure speaks against Synta QC. 

I got my HEQ5 used and could test it before deciding to keep it, so was sure it was ok: it's belt modded now and exhibits 23arcsec Peak-peak Periodic Error and guides better than 0.6" on nights with good seeing. So you see it's hit and miss! 

Best of luck with your CEM25p. 

Fabio 

Thanks, and sounds like you have a great mount!

Good for you!

I am glad you had a good experience with your reseller. That is how it should be.
'handle with care' is a normal thing to do with this kind of equipment, so I would not worry about warnings too much.
iOptron is very reponsive when you email them and their customer service is absolutely great.
So... I hope you will have a great time with your mount!  (do read the manual!!)