Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT and Blind plate solving Problem with ASPS

When i am running Atro Photography Tools and I try and use the blind platesolve i get this error in the bottom left corner. 

image.thumb.png.1d4b87f5bb57f18e43be72c1c2271054.png

I also get this menu everytime i run it even though I went through all the steps it asked and it said it saved them. If I click on no it says solved but comes up as failed. If I click on yes i go through the process it asks me to do going tot he website and folowing all the instruction. It then says in future your setting will be automatic. But I get thsi menu again :( Can anyone help and point me in the right direction?

image.thumb.png.9dd982a0e84f59a9e0c3d92d4f99bef1.png

Edited by Prolifics

Hi yes installed platesolve2 and asps and pointed them to the correct place.

Also the focal length is correct under tools. If i run platesolve on its own i get this error.

image.thumb.png.a7808b8da978c94596cc8520e2b54713.png

Edited by Prolifics

Hi thanks for that but I have already been through that without luck. I can framesolve in SGP fine. Just dosnt work in APT. I have spent 5 or 6 hours now and still unable to get it to work.

Edited by Prolifics

Camera settings are correct as far as i know as they were calibrated with Asps.

I have also tried running ASPS stand alone which shows it's not an AFM problem i get the error at bottom of this page.

image.thumb.png.312fb27320a5b064f8f6fa88c1550069.png

image.png.4527bd857d8b08cddaa9243ff3c6059a.png

Edited by Prolifics

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there - I also have not been able to get blindsolve to work in APT...so I just stopped trying. I just use Platesolve2 instead.

My workflow is:

1. Turn everything on - usually my mount is in zero position here

2. Slew away from Polaris (apparently platesolving can go haywire at the pole) - I usually use the simple GoTo function in APT to pick an object for this or Cartes du Ciel - do not worry if the slew is inaccurate, you are just trying to get away from Polaris

3. Hit "Shoot" to take an image - 10 second exposure or so should be fine

4. I then click on Pointcraft and then on "Scope position" which populates the coordinates the scope thinks it's at. Then I hit "Solve"

Within about 20 seconds this is successful on the first attempt and I then hit "Sync" to make sure APT is dialled in - all the Goto++ functionality works perfectly after that and subsequent "Solves" are usually successful within 10 seconds.

The only step which might be superfluous is the "Scope pos" bit, you might be able to hit "Solve" directly after the initial slew.

I'd love to get blindsolving working, but the above method has been foolproof for me, and given the blind solve takes longer as it's solving more of the sky I believe, I'm not sure it would necessarily be faster.

Hope this helps!

Edited by eshy76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, eshy76 said:

Hi there - I also have not been able to get blindsolve to work in APT...so I just stopped trying. I just use Platesolve2 instead.

My workflow is:

1. Turn everything on - usually my mount is in zero position here

2. Slew away from Polaris (apparently platesolving can go haywire at the pole) - I usually use the simple GoTo function in APT to pick an object for this or Cartes du Ciel - do not worry if the slew is inaccurate, you are just trying to get away from Polaris

3. Hit "Shoot" to take an image - 10 second exposure or so should be fine

4. I then click on Pointcraft and then on "Scope position" which populates the coordinates the scope thinks it's at. Then I hit "Solve"

Within about 20 seconds this is successful on the first attempt and I then hit "Sync" to make sure APT is dialled in - all the Goto++ functionality works perfectly after that and subsequent "Solves" are usually successful within 10 seconds.

The only step which might be superfluous is the "Scope pos" bit, you might be able to hit "Solve" directly after the initial slew.

I'd love to get blindsolving working, but the above method has been foolproof for me, and given the blind solve takes longer as it's solving more of the sky I believe, I'm not sure it would necessarily be faster.

Hope this helps!

Have you ever asked @Yoddha ivo for help on APT forum  with regards to getting blind to work , he is very helpful at resolving issues you may have

http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=4fe9aba1b0f71cba44ac731f5957b766

23 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

Have you ever asked @Yoddha ivo for help on APT forum  with regards to getting blind to work , he is very helpful at resolving issues you may have

http://aptforum.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=24&sid=4fe9aba1b0f71cba44ac731f5957b766

Hi there - Yoddha has been super helpful in addressing any problems I have had with APT...he helped me with the Platesolve2 approach I've settled on...I haven't really felt the need to go to blind solving yet.

• Like 1

I was quite happily blind plate solving until I switched scopes and it all went Pete Tong. Whilst I recorded the new a focal length of the scope (710mm) I didn’t take into account the 0.8 reducer attached to it giving me an effective focal length of 568mm. As soon as I changed my set up to 568 in APT it was all systems go. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hughsie said:

I was quite happily blind plate solving until I switched scopes and it all went Pete Tong. Whilst I recorded the new a focal length of the scope (710mm) I didn’t take into account the 0.8 reducer attached to it giving me an effective focal length of 568mm. As soon as I changed my set up to 568 in APT it was all systems go. 

I done exactly the same a few nights ago. Tried to blind solve my way back to target from the night before. Even though I have all the indexes for all my focal lengths installed, by not having the correct profile selected in APT it failed to solve. Despite me highlighting this importance in my own tutorial!

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334568-setting-up-platesolving-in-astrophotography-tool-apt/

Edited by david_taurus83

7 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

I done exactly the same a few nights ago. Tried to blind solve my way back to target from the night before. Even though I have all the indexes for all my focal lengths installed, by not having the correct profile selected in APT it failed to solve. Despite me highlighting this importance in my own tutorial!

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/334568-setting-up-platesolving-in-astrophotography-tool-apt/

......and it was your article David that help resolve my issue! At least it guided others if not yourself 😂

• Haha 2