Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Evostar 72 ED as grab and go refractor?

Okay, so just a bit of context. I have got a C5 on a nexstar se mount, a 100mm tabletop reflector and an astromaster 70mm refractor. Is the Skywatcher 72ed a good grab and go ed refractor for observing and potentially some casual dslr astrophotography later on if possible? I've heard about issues with focus travel and such, so not sure if this will suit me as this scope is pushing the budget (excluding accessories like extenders etc). Mind you, I don't have any 2 inch accessories to fit in the 2 inch focuser, so a 2 to 1.25 inch adapter may be required. Thanks!

I bought one for exactly the same reasons. This is great for the money.

Visual is fine. Nice tight stars etc. But.... it is only short and only 70mm. OK for a fun canter around the sky, but it really doesn’t have the grunt to be much more than ‘pleasing’. My comments are to set expectations around 70mm short tube observing. You will be surprised at what it can do. Just adjust expectations.

Imaging. I bought an old Canon DSLR and a cheap field flattener. No problems reaching focus, but I haven’t tried it without the flattener. It is a lot lighter than the ED80, so a lot more manageable/easy to mount.

Paul

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I've heard from a very trustworthy source that the 72ED makes a terrific visual grab and go scope.

I don't know whom  this very trustworthy source is, but they must have excellent knowledge and experience and I agree with them.   :smile:

Good to hear! Only problem I have is trying out AP in the future. The only tracking mount I have currently is a Nexstar 4/5se alt az mount which I worry would strain the motors under the unbalanced load of the scope and dslr attached. Will short exposures of say 15 seconds cause star trails and field rotation to be apparent(assuming the mount tracks correctly)?

Hi,

I can only comment visual, but it is a good scope for the price. I tested two samples and both where very good collimated. The focuser is also sturdy enough for heavier eyepieces. 

Color is visible at higher magnifications (120x and above) using an artificial star but ok for the short focal length. I am still considering the scope for grab and go also. 

cs,

Uli

Archived