SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stargazing site sought: Belgrave, VIC, AU

Geoff_L

We're currently visiting our son and his family, who live a few km outside Belgrave, VIC. We bought him an ST80 on an AZ3 a couple of Christmases ago, but he hasn't been able to use it much because he can't find anywhere to park up, set up the 'scope and get observing. The problem is the trees; yes, they are beautiful, but they are copious and block the view. We thought about some of the parks (Aura Vale, Cardinia, etc.) but the authority locks the gates at dusk! He has a view to the South with a hole in the tree canopy about 30° horizontally and from 30° to the zenith vertically -- but everything they want to view (Moon and planets) is to the East right now :( I was going to give them a present of membership of the Mount Burnett Observatory -- but they can't make it on member nights. So we're stuck looking for somewhere to set up the 'scope for an hour or so every so often. I know that a few Aussies post here and so I'm hoping someone can recommend a suitable site near Belgrave. As they're mainly interested in the Moon and planets, moderate light pollution shouldn't be an issue. All help gratefully received. Thanks, Geoff.

Hi Geoff L from Geoff B in Olinda!

We were showing our UK visitors around yesterday and took them up to John's Hill Reserve, Ridge Road, Kallista (off Grantulla Rd). Amazing 360 degree views up there and even if they close the gate there is plenty of room to park by the roadside and it's a very quiet road. Would be Bottle 4 skies up there, a bit darker than here for sure.

Give it a go.

Many thanks. Looks ideal. FWIW we ended up at Burke's Lookout (just down the road from Sky-high) last night and got some great views of the Moon .. and the grandkids had fun with the RDF I added to their collection recently. However Jupiter was too low and masked by trees, so again thanks, Geoff

Archived