Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Forunke

Guiding cam randomly flips / mixes image

Posted (edited)

Ok, so this is a really annoying bug / problem that I have with my setup:

From time to time, in non regular intervals the image my guiding cam (ZWO ASI120) send seems to get flipped / mirrored or looks like it's from a completely different patch of sky.

When I'm paying attention to the guide images I can clearly see that the image seems to be flipped in some way.

It only happens for 1 frame PHD send a warning ( No star found / Star lost Mass changed) and after that everything is fine again. My gear is all connected to a single USB3 Hub which then runs via powered USB3 cable to my Pc.

I'm not binning and have the noise reduction off (though PHD might got hickups while processing) but it still happens. Sometimes there are minutes between two events sometimes it happens 5 times in a row.

It also seems like it's only happening during guiding, I haven't seen it happen during calibration yet...

I'm completely clueless what's happening or how to get rid of it, any help / idea is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Forunke

I had the same flipping problem, after trying everything I could think of I stopped using it. Nothing I tried worked. 

1 minute ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I had the same flipping problem, after trying everything I could think of I stopped using it. Nothing I tried worked. 

So how did you go about guiding then? Another cam? Different software?

My ZWO ASI 120MM occasionally has "Split Frames" when I use it in SharpCap to take 30 second exposure sequences (frame is split vertically with left and right halves swapped)

Typically starts okay, then after a while I get a series of Split frames, then it corrects.

Never had it in PHD2, I'm not using the ASCOM driver.

Michael

44 minutes ago, Forunke said:

So how did you go about guiding then? Another cam? Different software?

New camera, well my asi290mc camera I usually use for planetary imaging. Spoken to a couple of others here who had the same problem. No solution found as far as I know. 

Just now, Anthonyexmouth said:

New camera, well my asi290mc camera I usually use for planetary imaging. Spoken to a couple of others here who had the same problem. No solution found as far as I know. 

Well I was thinking about getting a new guidescope... maybe I should just go for a bundle then and use the ASI120 for planetary

Out of interest, is this the USB3 model (of the ASI120), or the old USB2 one?

James

7 hours ago, michael8554 said:

My ZWO ASI 120MM occasionally has "Split Frames" 

Yes, I’ve had that too, although in my case it does sometimes happen in PHD2.  This is for an old USB2 ASI120. 

9 hours ago, JamesF said:

Out of interest, is this the USB3 model (of the ASI120), or the old USB2 one?

James

The old usb2 one for me. Was having guiding issues from lost stars for ages and only by chance was looking at the screen when I saw it flip then flip back. During that time it lost the star. 

There is a firmware "upgrade" for the USB2 models.  I found that made the camera a bit more stable at the expense of dropping the maximum frame rate slightly.  Might be worth a try?

(Actually the alternative firmware is, if I recall correctly, to return the camera to work in compliance with the USB2 specification because the default firmware bent the rules a bit , I assume to try to increase the frame rate as far as possible.)

James

20 minutes ago, JamesF said:

There is a firmware "upgrade" for the USB2 models.  I found that made the camera a bit more stable at the expense of dropping the maximum frame rate slightly.  Might be worth a try?

(Actually the alternative firmware is, if I recall correctly, to return the camera to work in compliance with the USB2 specification because the default firmware bent the rules a bit , I assume to try to increase the frame rate as far as possible.)

James

I'll double check mine but pretty sure I'm on the latest firmware. Sure that was one of the things I went through. Only ever use it with phd2 and brief spells with sharp cap for polar aligning. Never in sharp cap long enough to notice any issues there. 

Are you running this through a usb/usb3 hub. I found mine did this but was definitely better when running it off its own dedicated usb lead to usb2 port.

Coming back to post some results from playing around with some settings.

I managed to stop the image flipping by using Subframes (PHD2, settings, camera, use subframes), which makes me think there's a bottleneck somewhere down my USB3 line.

Will have to try the suggested firmware update to see if it helps but ultimately I'll probably switch to ethernet for data transfer.

Thanks for all suggestions!

6 hours ago, Forunke said:

Coming back to post some results from playing around with some settings.

I managed to stop the image flipping by using Subframes (PHD2, settings, camera, use subframes), which makes me think there's a bottleneck somewhere down my USB3 line.

Will have to try the suggested firmware update to see if it helps but ultimately I'll probably switch to ethernet for data transfer.

Thanks for all suggestions!

converting to use cat5/6 ethernet wont help, any usb-cat5/6 converters will be slower than usb3. 

I did try a dedicated usb cable but still had the same issue. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By AstroRuz
      Hello all,
      So I routinely have issues with guiding. Last night, I was getting some solid sub exposures of 5 minutes on the Flaming Star Nebula. When it got to about 15-20minutes of the meridian, I began getting trails on my stars. Then after the flip, I was still getting trails despite PHD reporting all's well.  I moved over to the Horsehead Nebula and tried 5 minutes there, and it behaved itself. Then I tested it on the Jellyfish Nebula and it also behaved (just about - minor trails). But it just did not want to dig it with the Flaming Star Nebula, which was practically near the zenith (about 2:30am 30/11/19).
      I tried recalibrating PHD (I use Pulseguide so the scope knew where it was). I then also recalibrated PHD at Alnitak so it was near the celestial equator (as the PHD best practices recommend). I even checked my Polar Alignment (done with a Polemaster), which was fine. I couldn't find anything wrong. 
      The guide scope was slightly off alignment with the main OTA, but that wasn't making any differences before the Meridian. 

I did find the helical focuser of the Starwave 50mm guide scope I was using to have some movement in it again when I manipulated the guide camera. So that's something I need to look into. But before I start throwing money at this issue, I see the terms "flexure" and "differential flexure" coming up. Can anyone shed light on what this means please?
      I tried manipulating the OTA in its tube rings, that didn't yield any movement either. The piggyback scope is secure, the g/scope is secure in its rings as well, there's no movement in the OTA focus rack and the cameras are secure in their tubes. 
      I do have my guide rings quite far back on the body of the telescope to assist with fitting the guide scope piggyback. 
      Video of g/scope play: 

Flaming Star Nebula. 5 minute sub, post Meridian Flip, about 2:50am (30/11/19). Note the plate solve compass in the top left. Drift appears to be in S/W direction.

Position of tube rings (they're now at the focus end).
      I think I am leaning towards needing to move my tube rings (once I remember to get the tools from work). 

Equipment:
      (brand new) Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro, SW Evostar Pro 80ED, Altair 0.8x R/F, Canon 600D, Altair Starwave 50mm Guide Scope, Altair AR130 Mono Guide Cam. 

• By John Lawley
      Hi - I've not posted here before as only just launched into this hobby, although I've always been massively interested in astronomy.
      I had first light on my rig last night, which is:
      Esprit 100, HEQ 5 Pro, ZWO EAF, ZWO mini filter wheel, skywatcher 50ED guidscope with ASI120, ZWO1600mm Pro, Lynx dew controller w 2 astro zap tapes
      A big endeavour to get that lot working from zero experience, but I love a challenge and have really enjoyed the computer side (I'm a grade A nerd)...

So - what went well... I got the guide scope in focus (was stressing about this), and also the main scope. Even more awesomely, the autofocus routine in SGP is working perfectly Filter wheel also working perfectly and I'm getting lovely smooth pics from the main camera (I've already done the flats and darks while I was waiting for clouds to clear). Final good thing (well, good-ish), is that I got the platesolving working eventually, and was able to get the scope to align from Park to the Soul Nebula and centre fine. For some reason the "number of attempts" in my SGP profile hadn't applied, so it was giving up after 1 go, but I got it working in the end.

So the bad...
      I couldn't take any data because every time it finished the platesolving and started PHD2, PHD2 would start the calibration process and then halfway through, the sidereel tracking on the EQMOD panel would turn off. Obviously, that would lead to a "lost the star" error. Is there some reason why sidereel tracking would turn off like that? I'm generally a bit confused as to whether I should be controlling the telescope from SGP (i.e. unpark) or using the park and unpark + tracking button on the EQMOD panel. Both PHD 2 and SGP are setup to use EQMOD ASCOM HEQ5/6?
      So at the moment I can't do anything, because there's no way of guiding without it turning tracking off

Also I was cold. Very Very Cold.
    • By Nikolas74
      From AST Optics selling my mini guiding system that i used for my Redcat51 , i have used it also with my Esprit 100 and had excellent guiding results.
      There is a nice review here if someone wants to read :
      https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/575047-ast-mini-guide-kit-any-comments/
      Lens:    f=100mm F3.5 CCTV objective - made in Japan
      Adjustment:    by ballhead - with reliable clamping
      Dovetail:    compatible with most finder shoes
      True field of view:    2.9° x 3.8°
      Maximum guidable focal length:    1000 mm
      Focusing:    via lens cell
      Connection to camera:    C-Mount
      Lens filter thread:    M30.5mm P=0.5
      Weight:    79 grams
      Length of the objective:    44 mm

PRICE : £100 (selling the mount and the CCTV lens not the camera)
      Paypal accepted buyer pays the fees
      I will cover the postage expenses
      Thank you,
      Nikolas

• By gutaker
      Hi guys, it's my first post here, so Hello!
      My synscan goto upgrade started to act like in this video of mine SynScan GOTO Skipping after being disassembled for few weeks in the closet. There were no such problems before.
      When it slews at rates above x3 everything is fine and smooth but as soon as it starts tracking at x3, it skips steps or something like that.
      My setup is eq3-2 on alu and SW 150/750 with Canon 700D attached.
      Thanks in advance for any clues or ideas!

• By BUDA
      Hi All!

I have guiding problem with the following guider setup: 9x50 finder + ZWO ASI 120mm mini + PHD2.
      The imaging scope is a 6' newtonian + canon dslr on a HEQ5, driven by a laptop via diy EQDIR cable.
      When the mount is set up and running correctly, polar aligned and all... I connect the guider camera
      and mount with phd2. All nice and easy, I run a calibration, then it starts to guide. All seems ok.

Then I am starting to take pictures. The first seems OK, then the second have the star trails...
      I check phd2 and there is a message: the camera (ASI) did not take a picture for "xy" seconds so it is disconnected.
      Grrr.... I reconnect try to set up a longer period for "xy" in the settings as mentioned in the message.
      And all the same again and again. Whatever I add for connection timeout for the camera, it just reaches that
      and disconnect the camera.
      PHD + philips toucam has worked for me flowlessly. I changed to PHD2 because I gave myself a birthday present,
      the little ZWO camera. (and PHD did not recognize it)
      Do you have any idea what can be the problem? I will contact PHD2 help also, but maybe somebody had already
      the same problem and figured out how to overcome. I am almost sure I make some dumb mistake in the PHD2
      software settings, however I tried to change only what was needed.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.