Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Could this be turned into a cheap binocular stabilizer?

4 hours ago, Cornelius Varley said:

you have to beef up the construction using metal tubing instead of plastic

Maybe not; the tubes beings very short, plastic could be rigid enough, and the bottom might be arched and lightly padded so it rests on the shoulders, with the small counterweights at the rear to balance the mass that's mostly at the front.

The thing might be angled so it's comfy for someone sitting on a lawn chair and aiming at the sky, I don't know. I'm not going to make prototypes because I like my binocs without any accessories but someone else might adapt this. If readers do, please show it, of course.

I've tried many of these binocular-stabilising gadgets over the last few decades - and I keep coming back to a monopod/trigger-grip for small and medium binocs and parallelograms for the big ones. Many of the innovative designs are much more bulky/unwieldy/awkward to use than a small P-mount and tripod. I do quite like a Manfrotto magic arm attached to my recliner, but for the fact that it turns my 10x50s into pretty good heart-rate monitor.

This gyro-stabilised idea might be useful if it could be made very light, which I imagine (i.e. I've not done the maths) is difficult for a gyro that's got to stabilise over a kilogram of stuff. ("normal" IS adjusts a lens or a prism; much less mass than an entire instrument.) I'd be delighted to be proved wrong! ?

Archived