Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Telescope Choice (Esprit 80 ED vs ES ED APO 80mm)

Hi folks,

I'm looking to purchase my first scope to open the doorway to Astrophotography. I've seemingly narrowed it down to two choices:

> Skywatcher Esprit 80 ED APO

> Explore Scientific ED 80mm Deluxe FCD-100

Does anyone have any experience of either and/or both, and provide any thoughts as to which would be better for a starting AP telescope?

The Espirt is ~£100 more expensive, but both are within the budget I've allocated myself (and had clearance from the wife for!). I've also set aside some cash for an appropriate flattener, so I've considered that already.

I have heard, and am aware, of mount first, scope second. I've got an AVX, and I am aware of the reports of this mount for AP, but for now, I'm likely to be stuck with the AVX unless I'm able to trade it in or sell it to free up extra funds to replace it, likely with the HEQ5? However, for now, I'm 'stuck with it', so I'll have to grin and bear it. But I am aware, ideally, a new mount will be needed.

However, for the time being, I'm curious as to which would be the better scope of the two - or even if there are any other options I'd perhaps not considered?

Any feedback or assistance in helping me choose the right scope would be much appreciated. Naturally, I want to make sure I get this right, and hopefully get a good few years success out of the scope (if not the mount...!) before upgrading down the line. If it helps, it'll be for DSO imaging. I have a 8SE that I intend to use for any planetary imaging, etc. Not sure if this makes a difference?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Adge87

I can't comment on the scopes because I have not owned either. I do have an AVX and find it very good for AP so I'm not sure what your concern is. You can always get better of course but it will do the job if used correctly.

Peter

I have an Esprit 80mm and ran it on an AVX for about two years. While I can't compare it to the Explore Scientific, I will say that the Esprit is a no-muss no-fuss scope. It works well for imaging, it produces nice stars without color aberrations, has a decent focuser on it and one which is easily motorized if you want to go that far ... it's a keeper.

It actually worked just fine on the AVX. The main issue I had with the AVX -- and I think this was mount specific and not a general AVX issue -- is that periodically, typically after an hour of guiding, the mount would suddenly veer way off on the DEC axis, guiding would fail and I'd have to manually get things going again. Not the end of the world, but it meant I couldn't go to sleep. ?  But otherwise, I enjoyed two good years of imaging with the Esprit 80 and AVX, and while I've since retired the mount, the little Esprit is here to stay.

So.... Although I don't own either of those two telescopes you mentioned and neither the AVX mount, but I do have the Celestron Advanced GT mount with an Evostar 80 ED refactor and find it more than adequate for AP, just make sure the mount is polar aligned or you will run into guiding issues. I think the mount you have will be more than capable with a 80mm scope.

One the subject of refractors, have you considered 2nd hand? There is a Explore Scientific ED 80mm on ebay at the moment (Mint Condition is says)  and although you haven't mentioned about camera's for imaging & guiding but maybe the pennies saved can assist with the additional kit for AP as auto guiding is a must.

• 6 months later...

I expect they are both excellent scopes, but the Esprit may have the edge especially if you one day want to sell it. Esprits have a rock solid reputation as far as I can tell - never read a bad review about them.

Edited by gorann

I just bought the Esprit 80 ED, and I'm very happy with it so far. The only thing I miss is a proper way to attach a finder scope. The guide scope attachment arrangement works, but is a bit flimsy. I really don't understand why the manufacturer don't make some screw holes in the body dedicated to attaching a finder scope.

Having said that I'm sure you will be happy with the Explore Scientific too, both are good scopes.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/11/2019 at 09:15, Viktiste said:

I just bought the Esprit 80 ED, and I'm very happy with it so far. The only thing I miss is a proper way to attach a finder scope. The guide scope attachment arrangement works, but is a bit flimsy. I really don't understand why the manufacturer don't make some screw holes in the body dedicated to attaching a finder scope.

Having said that I'm sure you will be happy with the Explore Scientific too, both are good scopes.  

Hi Viktiste.  Rather off topic, but I’m looking at an Esprit 80 ED too and considering OAG (vs guidescope).  Can I ask how you find the ZWO OAG with the ASI 120 MC (as I have one of those already)?  Recommended?

Anyone else with a view would be welcome too!

Hi.  

There is no doubt that it felt easier to guide with a guide scope compared to the OAG. However the ZWO OAG with the ASI 120 MC does work ok with my Esprit 80 ED + HEQ5 pro belt mod. Typical guiding is around 0.8 to 0.9" RMS which is probably not great but it is more than sufficient. I image at around 2" per pixel. So 20+ minutes exposures are no problem.

There are always 2 or more stars in the OAG to guide on, but not plenty of stars. Still I have always been able to find a guide star.

In my opinion these are the OAG pro/cons:

pro's:  No need for custom guide scope mount arrangement. No need for a guide scope. No need for guide scope dew heater. More compact scope arrangement - so it is easier to transport safely.

con's: Took some fiddling to set up the first time, particularly to get focus. OAG is probably overkill for a 80mm refractor (?). 

I never kept copies of the guide logs from when I used the finder scope as a guide scope, so I can't compare the performance of the OAG vs. the finder scope. But I suspect either does the the job more than well enough. 

Edited by Viktiste
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, James1967 said:

Thanks Viktiste.  Certainly sounds good enough for me to give the OAG a try - I’d much prefer this route if I can work with it.

Just a word of caution about OAGs and fast scopes.

Size of OAG prism is important and distance of it to focal plane. With fast scopes - you want your OAG to be very close to sensor - otherwise prism will act as aperture stop. In principle you want your OAG to be closer than F/ratio * size of pick off prism.

Say you have 8mm pick off prism and you image at F/4. You want your OAG prism to be closer than 32mm to focal plane (or rather - imaging sensor).

If you put OAG too far away on small fast scope - you'll make it work as if stopped down.  8mm prism at 64mm away from focal plane and Esprit 80 will work like F/8 guide scope - with just 50mm aperture and 400mm FL. You'll limit light to guide sensor by factor of 2.56!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Just a word of caution about OAGs and fast scopes.

Size of OAG prism is important and distance of it to focal plane. With fast scopes - you want your OAG to be very close to sensor - otherwise prism will act as aperture stop. In principle you want your OAG to be closer than F/ratio * size of pick off prism.

Say you have 8mm pick off prism and you image at F/4. You want your OAG prism to be closer than 32mm to focal plane (or rather - imaging sensor).

If you put OAG too far away on small fast scope - you'll make it work as if stopped down.  8mm prism at 64mm away from focal plane and Esprit 80 will work like F/8 guide scope - with just 50mm aperture and 400mm FL. You'll limit light to guide sensor by factor of 2.56!

Got it - understood!  Many thanks, the advice is really appreciated.