Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

andy fearn

Ascom connection to avx mount.

Good evening,

Am trying to connect Ascom to my avx mount but it says error  timeout.has anybody had trouble like this. Identified com port 6,and works well with stellarium scope control.Any help much appreciated.

Have you installed the Celestron Ascom driver ? look here

Thanks for reply Dr Ju - Ju,  I have downloaded celestron driver but still come up with error message. in the top box it says EQ MOD 5/6 so am thinking it is not recognising celestron. I have read that the hand control will only work on an earlier program. (thread posted back in 2016)

thanks for your input.

24 minutes ago, andy fearn said:

Thanks for reply Dr Ju - Ju,  I have downloaded celestron driver but still come up with error message. in the top box it says EQ MOD 5/6 so am thinking it is not recognising celestron. I have read that the hand control will only work on an earlier program. (thread posted back in 2016)

thanks for your input.

If you are trying to control your mount through eqmod it isn't going to work. Eqmod is only for skywatcher synscan mounts

14 hours ago, andy fearn said:

Good evening,

Am trying to connect Ascom to my avx mount but it says error  timeout.has anybody had trouble like this. Identified com port 6,and works well with stellarium scope control.Any help much appreciated.

Also a brief rundown of how you were trying to control the mount through ascom (planetarium programme etc) would be helpful.

Hi Peter,thanks for reply.

I have been told that ascom can control the mount better. I was not sure if there is a program available to run celestron mounts in ascom.

Stellarium doesn't need any external drivers for mount control, it has it's own internal one for that. If you want to go through ascom, then you will need the ascom platform, the Celestron ascom drivers and Stellariumscope to communicate between ascom and Stellarium. You will then need to configure both Stellariumscope and Stellarium to use ascom. Much easier just to use Stellarium. Cartes du Ciel also requires the ascom platform and drivers and works well.

Hi peter,

thanks for reply, I think i will stick with stellarium as i am getting familiar with it. I have downloaded celestron driver and other ascom platform but with no luck. getting frustrated with it now.

thanks again.

10 minutes ago, andy fearn said:

Hi peter,

thanks for reply, I think i will stick with stellarium as i am getting familiar with it. I have downloaded celestron driver and other ascom platform but with no luck. getting frustrated with it now.

thanks again.

Personally, I would keep things simple by using the internal drivers of Stellarium.