Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Flats essential

Hi guys 

I understand dark frames but flat and bias frames ? .im not over keen on leaving equipment out all night to do flats the next day ( do u have to leave settings and focus same as imaging session) and then wrap a white cloth over scope? And bios isnt that just like a dark?. I’m using dedicated cam not DSLR.

Edited by Fieldsy

Purpose of Flats: 1) removes vignetting 2) removes any dust shadows produced by dust and etc.

Bias: Yes, the same purpose as Dark, just it removes another kind of bad signal left in the image produced by sensors. If you stretch your MasterDark and MasterBias, you will see the difference. 

For Flats, - you have to be close to the focus, you can be slightly off and yes, you can do it next day if you have not moved your rig around and if you have not removed the camera from the scope.

Deep Sky Stacker help file has explanations in case you need more.

Edited by RolandKol
  • Thanks 1

Do you have a cooled camera? If so, and in my admittedly limited experience, you can do Darks at any time providing the camera is cooled to the temperatur, exposure and gain used for the imaging session. I have made a library of Darks at various gains and exposures. Saves a lot of time! As far as Bias is concerned there seems to be a debate around whether they are actually needed with a dedicated Astro camera. Depending which side you come down on again your Bias can be made at any time without cooling the camera. 

• Thanks 1

yep... I have similar to this one.
Just do not throw away the box, - simply cut out the hole for your scope and for USB cable in it.

Add few sheets of paper (3 or 4) and you have a nice USB powered LED panel :)

Edited by RolandKol
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Just do not throw away the box, - simply cut out the hole for you scope in it.

Thanks that's a lot cheaper than what I was looking at?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fieldsy said:

Ordered and on it's way. So just cut a snug hole in box for scope .is the focus and other settings still relevant ?

Yep, and of course, do not throw away the internal panel holders which will be in the box.

On DSLR, - switch Camera to Exposure/Shutter Priority Mode (TV on Canon), use the Same ISO as on the Light Subs, - Focus can be not Perfect.
And... Off you go! Easy as that :)

Take around 40 subs. 
Subs will be below 1sec anyway. 2 minutes and all is ready.

Just, - I try to keep subs above 0.3sec, as a precaution (it is my personal choice, you do not need to do that). To increase the exposure time of subs, simply add more paper into the box.

Edited by RolandKol

2 minutes ago, RolandKol said:

Yep, and of course, do not throw away the internal panel holders which will be in the box.

On DSLR, - switch Camera to Exposure/Shutter Priority Mode (TV on Canon), use the Same ISO as on the Light Subs, - Focus can be not Perfect.
And... Off you go! Easy as that :)

Take around 40 subs. 
Subs will be below 1sec anyway. 2 minutes and all is ready.

Just, - I try to keep subs above 0.3sec, as a precaution. To increase the exposure time for subs, simply add more paper into the box.

My camera is asi178mm not a dslr.

Add more paper into box ? I must be missing something .why do I need paper in the box ? Or will it be evident once I have item.

Edited by Fieldsy

Oops miss-read.

Target ADU 25k - 30K on any Flat Aid assistant, - APT or SGP.

Same gain,  as Lights.

Keep an eye on Exposure times, as if it will be Very short, the camera will catch how Panel Flickers (you will see horizontal bandings), so add Paper to increase exposures.

I keep only MasterFlats from 100subs per filter.

Once done, try to take some DarkFlats (same gain, exposure time as Flats, but cover the scope as you do for Darks and Bias).

You can try using DarkFlats instead of bias for better results.

If you will go with Bias (as it is a bit easier), do not do Bias subs shorter than 0.3sec.

ASI cameras produce very unpredictable Bias results with subs which are shorter than 0.3sec.

Edited by RolandKol
  • Thanks 1

I dont bother with flats most of the time as I shoot with a DSLR and camera lenses and use either generic lens correction data or one I have made modified to remove any dust bunnies.

The sensor dust is dealt with separately by localized correction in PS or in rare occasions a separate exposure with the lens removed so the camera can effectively be pointed anywhere to produce even illumination. 

The reason I do this is that its almost impossible to keep dust bunnies in the same place on a DSLR due to mirror slap and the sensor cleaning routine when the camera is turned off.

I am also one of the few that leave the long exp noise reduction on to take proper matched dark's but as I dont do many subs its not a waste of imaging time :D

Alan

• Like 1

Hi. Software moves on. If you have a clean sensor, I'd say it does a better job correcting what a few years ago could only be tackled by flat frames. The best we've found is StarTools' wipe module; it doesn't care what orientation or focus your camera was at after taking the light frames.

HTH

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 16:01, RolandKol said:

Just do not throw away the box, - simply cut out the hole for your scope and for USB cable in it.

Item delivered and hole cut thanks

20190425_104943.jpg

• Like 1

? no laptop is at mates being completely reinstalled for a clean instal as it’s only a notebook not much space .god knows what had been left on it over the years with so many install and uninstalls .get it back today then have to put all the Astro software on it ,so looking at next week for first views  weather permitting ?

Dammit, wish I'd thought not to throw the box away.   That's brilliant.

As for what all the types of images do.   Here goes.

1. Lights - the images, you know the pretty stuff

2. Darks - Exposed for the same time as the lights, but in complete darkness to get an approximation of the noise in the image.  Subtract this from the light frame and you end up with a clear image.

3. Flats - Solves the vignetting problem, also will help to solve issued with specks of dust that get into the imaging train.  (They appear like dark circles and vary in side depending on where they are)

4. Darks for flats - does the same job as dark frames, only for the flat frames.

5. Bias frames - shortest exposure possible on the camera.   These images record the minimum value that can be obtained from each pixel in the camera.  Without this each pixel could have a different minimum value, which would be like looking at a lumpy surface.   By applying bias frames to all the other frames above, you'll even out the image much better.

The Darks, Darks for flats and Bias frames can be produced at any time and kept in a library.   You can even do some of the integration work to produce master files, which have the combination work already done - this can save a great deal of time when it comes to your processing.

• Like 1