Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stacking different sets of data

AlistairW

Hello,

Hoping this should be an easy one ?

I have been imaging a target and have a set of associated flats for that session. However I have knocked my rig. I still want to carry on with the same target but want to do another set of flats. So my question is:

How do I stack the two sets of data, as they will have different associated flat files. Do I stack separately and then combine for example ? - and combine how ?

Thanks

Alistair.

Alistair, that all depends on the tool you're using to stack. It's been a while, and I don't have it handy, but as I recall... DSS lets you load sets of data in, as that, sets of data... with tabs across the bottom... so you load up each set of lights and calibration frames form each session into a set, add a new set, and continue like that.  I've done it (albeit a long time ago) with 3 nights worth of data.

Ok, one quick installation later... It's called groups. When you add an image to the main group, a new group tab will appear next to it. Click on that, and add the next nights data to that... I think, you want to avoid using the Main group, as any calibration frames in the main group, will be applied to all groups.. so drop in one image file to get Group 1 active, then, after adding everything to group 1, remove it again.

You would calibrate the individual sets, and then stack the results in one go. The flats are there to remove optical artefacts like dust and vignetting. So you could have 10 sets of subs with flats for each. If the flats do their job, the 10 individual sets should provide clean, calibrated subs, ready to stack together on one operation.

Archived