Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Impossible Mars!?

mikeDnight

A few days ago I posted an observation of Mars on CN, but one of our astro brothers informed me I'd need at least a 6" telescope to be able to see the detail I was seeing in my 100mm refractor. He pointed to some expert who'd done research into resolution, apparently. So I thought I'd post yet an even more impossible observation that I made on the 17th April. More impossible, in that the previous observation was made while Mars was at 4.5 arc seconds, while on the 17th, Mars was at 4.4 arc seconds. Yet on focusing on the planet using the 100mm Tak and 2mm Vixen HR, almost immediately subtle detail began to reveal itself. Sinus Sabaeus was darker than the rest and on seeing it I found it immediately recognisable. Quite remarkable considering the aperture of the scope and apparent size of the planet. I hadn't pre checked the LCM, so had no preconceived idea of what was on view. So yet again, my little scope has proved the experts and critics wrong. 

The sketch below shows the detail that gradually revealed itself on the tiny disc over a 10 to 15 minute period.

IMG_0636.thumb.JPG.8a7179374635f321aefae2d0f5700000.JPG

Absolutely amazing Mike.

Brilliantly drawn too.

Ok, that's it. If I can get out tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can find Mars and see what luck I have. (Not much probably!!).

Well done. ?

12 hours ago, Lurcher said:

Absolutely amazing Mike.

Brilliantly drawn too.

Ok, that's it. If I can get out tonight or tomorrow, I'm going to see if I can find Mars and see what luck I have. (Not much probably!!).

Well done. ?

You might be wise to try filtering the view in your 300 mm scope Martin. Mars in my 100mm ist too blinding, but in the 250mm F6.3 Newtonian, the tiny disc is brilliant and the detail, though still visible, is glared out by the brilliance of the disc. If you have a Wrattan 21 orange or a neutral density filter, or anything that will reduce the brightness, it may help. Also, don't give up easily, as the detail is there, it just needs patience and a keen eye to grab glimpses of it as it comes and goes in the turbulent air.  I look forward to seeing your observation! :icon_biggrin:

Observing planets should be easy. Nice and bright. If only that were true.....

You certainly got a nice set of observations. Many swear by sketching as a good way of teasing out the details as your brain builds the picture. I’m not a colour filter fan, but have found that the Baader Neodymium sometimes helps with contrast on the red/orange planets.

Paul

5 hours ago, Moonshane said:

I think the key sentence in what you say Mike is that you record 'the detail that gradually revealed itself on the tiny disc over a 10 to 15 minute period.'. 

Amazing observing. 

Thanks Shane,

It is gradual, in a similar way nebulae and galaxies reveal detail gradually. I don't really stare directly at the planet but let my eye naturally scan the disc. That way subtle detail can often flit in and out of view as the turbulence comes and goes. Obviously, its not easy to accurately place features on such a tiny disc, so the sketch is just a rough representation of how things may appear in a small scope at high power.

Archived