Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StarTools 64bit cant find resources

blinky

I have downloaded the trial of StarTools but cant run the 64bit version as it says it cant find the resources file.  I can run the 32bit version but this does not let me edit my ASI1600 images as they are too big....

Have you put it in the C:\Program Files directory. If so it's because it doesn't have read/write access. Startools is a stand alone program and doesn't install itself anywhere but will run from where you downloaded it as long as you have read/write access to that location. All the Startools downloaded files need to be in the same location.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

Yes, the interface is a bit non-standard but with just a few mouse clicks you can get a pretty good result and if you do it again with adjusting a few sliders to set parameters to more optimum values you can achieve some really good looking images.

Alan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, symmetal said:

Yes, the interface is a bit non-standard but with just a few mouse clicks you can get a pretty good result and if you do it again with adjusting a few sliders to set parameters to more optimum values you can achieve some really good looking images.

Alan

You're right Alan, the user interface needs a while to be mastered but there are some good tutorials that explain the workflow.

I started using the demo version but I'm not sure to purchase it because of most praised feature by the developers: the "Ai". I just can't live with a software that has its own mind and very few ways to tweak it. 

As you say: when it works well it's amazing, and it delivers a good image with just few clicks. But when it doesn't (and I refer here mainly at the "Wipe" thing...) you can't get out of it for love or for money.

Let's say that I usually get better images from StarTools than from IRIS, starting from the same data, but the former is more aggressive and i never get rid of some halos around stars which don't appear in IRIS, where I have more control of the process. 

So, currently I'm in trade off mode: I'd probably choose Pixinsight, but it's more expensive and has a steeper learning curve. What about APP? 

Edited by FaDG

8 hours ago, blinky said:

bit of a clunky app though

Hi. We think processing tools are moving on and it's PI which is clunky! Having tried PI with it's 1990s style menu-along-the-top and methods of working, StarTools is a breath of fresh air. If you're stuggling moving away from PI, there's a migration guide here.

29 minutes ago, FaDG said:

I refer here mainly at the "Wipe" thing.

Hi. It certainly beats the "TGV" thing! If you need help with any aspect of StarTools, there's good -almost instant- support via the forum.

To be fair to both though, I think familiarity counts for a lot; you'll get better results with the app you use most often. We prefer StarTools, not because it's better but because we know how to use it to obtain optimum results. the workfolw in each is so very different we're not comparing like with like.

Just our @0.02

Cheers and clear skies

Any problems I have with the Startools Wipe command are always due to not cropping the edge stacking artifacts enough leading to coloured patches. An Autodev before wiping will show up the edge artifacts so you can crop the right amount. Use the Develop tool instead of AutoDev for your final stretch. Getting the Develop percentage setting 'correct' is quite critical. The Colour tool RGB sliders are also very 'sensitive' but give excellent results when you get the 'right' values.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

On 18/04/2019 at 07:22, FaDG said:

You're right Alan, the user interface needs a while to be mastered but there are some good tutorials that explain the workflow.

I started using the demo version but I'm not sure to purchase it because of most praised feature by the developers: the "Ai". I just can't live with a software that has its own mind and very few ways to tweak it. 

As you say: when it works well it's amazing, and it delivers a good image with just few clicks. But when it doesn't (and I refer here mainly at the "Wipe" thing...) you can't get out of it for love or for money.

Let's say that I usually get better images from StarTools than from IRIS, starting from the same data, but the former is more aggressive and i never get rid of some halos around stars which don't appear in IRIS, where I have more control of the process. 

So, currently I'm in trade off mode: I'd probably choose Pixinsight, but it's more expensive and has a steeper learning curve. What about APP? 

Persevere if your having trouble ask Ivo on the forum and post your log , it’s in the startools folder and post your image Ivo will reply  may not be straight away but he will get back , and tell him how you are stacking , startools likes linear data , DSS isn’t linear and needs a few  tweaks with parameters and  he tell you exactly what your issue may be , I no longer use DSS and use regim to stack . 

• Like 1

Hi there and thanks for the info. 

I thought that DSS was linear when saving the image out of the Stack and without post processing. 

I can't save the final  image in StarTools as I don't have a licenced copy, but can't decide to purchase it as I'm not convinced it's the best choice for processing. I'll need to test Pixinsight in parallel on the same image, so I can decide. 

11 hours ago, FaDG said:

Hi there and thanks for the info. 

I thought that DSS was linear when saving the image out of the Stack and without post processing. 

I can't save the final  image in StarTools as I don't have a licenced copy, but can't decide to purchase it as I'm not convinced it's the best choice for processing. I'll need to test Pixinsight in parallel on the same image, so I can decide. 

Sorry I meant your stacked image ie fits file , and as above screen shot your final image ?

On 17/04/2019 at 23:04, blinky said:

I can run the 32bit version

Hi. Yeah. To edit full size you're going to need to throw a decent 64bit gaming machine at it. Even with a ssd, to see your edits in real time, you need the tracking (database) files in memory. They occupy around 6Gb, so anything less than 16Gb is going to be slow for full size processing.

HTH.

On 18/04/2019 at 07:22, FaDG said:

I started out with Startools, I still like the speed with which it will produce a reasonable result. I purchased APP for its calibration, stacking and mosaic capabilities, but I am making increasing use of it’s processing tools.

PI seems to be the tool of choice with the majority of accomplished imagers, but I think all the packages can produce good results, the processing just seems easier if you are familiar with one or another package.