Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Southern Pinwheel Galaxy: Messier 83

Wiu-Wiu

It has been a slow year for sketching - so far. It has been cloudy and when it finally got clear, the moon was out so deepsky was out of the question. 

A well needed astro-vacation to the superb dark skies of La Palma was more than welcome!

Messier 83 was still one of those Messiers I needed to cross off my list. 

And what a treat is was! 

Overall round shaped with a central bright core, barred, and two distinct spirals. One fans out wider than the opposing one. 

Two more spirals envelop the core, wrapping the entire system into their arms. 

Conditions weren't ideal: lots of wind and patches of clouds. 

M83.thumb.jpg.ad8b43c1bc685e0c7fbee986dcc5cd24.jpg

If only I'd known... My wife and I were out again between 30th March and 13th April. We were on the West of the Island too, just a little to the south of Tijarafe, walking distance from the Micro Brewery. We had some great nights' viewing with the Tak... Hope you enjoyed your trip as much as we did ours... :thumbsup:

It was my first trip to La Palma, so "thanks" to the weather we got to enjoy a bit of the scenery too, in stead of sleeping in every day :) 

Gorgeous island and very diverse nature, definately worth another visit ;) 

Most of the nights we did went up to the roque. There's a bunch of spots outside the gated closure (which is off limits anyway), and the parking of the new visitor center looks like it will be a good spot to set up too. The seeing and transparency up there is incredible! 

Agreed. We go at least twice a year when it’s dark. Been very blessed with observing from the house as well as up high. Although I haven’t had anything bigger than a 5” out there yet...

Even when the weather isn’t playing ball it’s a beautifully unspoiled island. And the Piripi from the Brewery can induce a sense of “euphoria” no matter the weather... ?

Archived