Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

I haven't come across this rather small and distant galaxy (NGC3294), so I thought I would give it a go !

At a distance of about 98 million light years, NGC3294 is located in the constellation Leo Minor. From Earth it occupies c2 x 1 arc minutes of sky, so its apparent size is quite small.  It's a spiral galaxy with a slight bar at its center.

I also captured a few other background galaxies, which I've annotated below.  I picked out one of the background galaxies NGC3304 (top left) for a separate crop since it looked a rather interesting bonus capture. I could only find one estimate its distance (c300 million light years), so it was pleasing to have captured a little detail.

The LRGB image below represent 16 hours integration time and was taken with my Esprit 150.

Alan

LIGHTS: L:39, R:19, G:18, B:20 x 600s, DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 all at -20C. 

Wide field

1667477324_21.Finalcropped(slight).thumb.jpg.164b0de1f854db6147c55aa58886eeea.jpg

Wide field (annotated)

_21_Final_cropped_slight__Annotated.thumb.jpg.3f9d84c2f535e978cb2c03e72dbde2f1.jpg

NGC3294 (crop)

1385187125_23.highcrop.thumb.jpg.1faea96c01b4f3658c40962c9114c499.jpg

NGC3304 (crop)

2011509407_24.highcrop2.jpg.cbc24c97df01c9256452d25869cd4992.jpg

• Like 16

Posted (edited)

Very nice. There is a gradient in the background that looks a little like ifn.

Edited by HunterHarling

17 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

Very nice. There is a gradient in the background that look a little like ifn.

Thanks for the comment. :happy11:

I think you are correct, I noticed this when processing the image. Unfortunately, I could only find a very small number of images of this object so it wasn't possible to confirm or deny the existence of ifn (zero on SGL and two on Astrobin). 

Alan

Really great image. I like more the wide field where the eye can run around the area and appreciate the densy population of object.

The crop then, show details rarely seen on a so small 9bject, with delicate color and pleasant feeling.

May I ask what camera did you adopt for the image and from where(quality of the sky)? I always ask this for my better learn .

4 hours ago, GiorgioF said:

Really great image. I like more the wide field where the eye can run around the area and appreciate the densy population of object.

The crop then, show details rarely seen on a so small 9bject, with delicate color and pleasant feeling.

May I ask what camera did you adopt for the image and from where(quality of the sky)? I always ask this for my better learn .

Many thanks for your comment :hello:

The image was taken with my SX Trius 814 camera which gives me an imaging scale of 0.7 arc seconds per pixel. The quality of the sky where I image from (East Sussex) is good compared to the UK average. There is no street lighting and light pollution is very low.  So, whilst not quite a dark site, it is pretty close.  I'm also located reasonably high up which helps improve seeing and hence image resolution, the down side is that it can get quite windy !

Alan 

• Thanks 1