Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Synscan v3 handset update issues

Anne S

I'm trying to update my v3 handset prior to selling the mount. I need to update the bootloader from v1.0 to v1.7 before I can upgrade the firmware from 3.12 to the newest version. I've tried following the instructions in the bootloader download but the upgrade loader refuses to install anything.

Before I realised I needed to update the bootloader, the synscan loader v3.3 just showed 255 255 255 where it should display the handset software, ie 3.12.

Can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong?

The handset won't run the mount probably because I had a replacement motor control board a few years ago., I'm guessing. It worked fine before that. I've been using eqMod for years.

Thanks.

Anne

I'm using the lead that came with the mount and a usb converter that I'm sure worked when I used it last. I've another one that worked in Kelling earlier this month, I'll try that tomorrow. W7 laptop.

That's my problem, I couldn't get the firmware loader programme to let me update the bootloader. I had tried to update the software first before I realised. Maybe I should have rebooted the computer before trying again.

I've tried updating the bootloader this morning. I get an error message "Version 3.xx firmware does not work on 255.xx hardware. What do I try next? Not yet heard back from Skywatcher.

53 minutes ago, Anne S said:

I've tried updating the bootloader this morning. I get an error message "Version 3.xx firmware does not work on 255.xx hardware. What do I try next? Not yet heard back from Skywatcher.

That is probably the reason. Sometime in the past the V3 hardware was changed meaning that the latest v3 firmware cannot be used with the earlier v3 handsets. I have two v3 handsets, neither of which can be upgraded beyond firmware version v3.38.09.

That explains it. If one could get the older version of the update software it would be possible to update it slightly - it's on 3.12. However I thought it wasn't controlling the mount when I tried it outside  - it just complained about the software needing updating. I've now tried in inside and it slews fine. I'll amend my for sale listing accordingly.

I may get an answer from Skywatcher yet with the necessary files to update as far as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Anne

2 hours ago, Anne S said:

That explains it. If one could get the older version of the update software it would be possible to update it slightly - it's on 3.12. However I thought it wasn't controlling the mount when I tried it outside  - it just complained about the software needing updating. I've now tried in inside and it slews fine. I'll amend my for sale listing accordingly.

I may get an answer from Skywatcher yet with the necessary files to update as far as possible.

Thanks for your help.

Anne

You probably won't need bootloader 1.7. This was released due to bug which might cause the handset to lock up when updating the handsets firmware  .

SynScan V3 hand controller firmware v3_37.zip

SynScan V3 hand controller firmware v3_36.zipen_download_caty01468002791.zip

Thank you for those files. One other question, when I opened the loader programme from the Skywatcher website, if I click button that displays the current firmware at the bottom of the programme window, it showed 255 in all positions. Do you know why it didn't show my version 3.12 etc there? I was beginning to wonder if I have a problem in the serial cable, perhaps a wire broken somewhere. I don't have another lead to try as all my pc connection cables only have 4 cores. I don't really want to buy another cable if this won't do anything.

2 hours ago, Anne S said:

Thank you for those files. One other question, when I opened the loader programme from the Skywatcher website, if I click button that displays the current firmware at the bottom of the programme window, it showed 255 in all positions. Do you know why it didn't show my version 3.12 etc there? I was beginning to wonder if I have a problem in the serial cable, perhaps a wire broken somewhere. I don't have another lead to try as all my pc connection cables only have 4 cores. I don't really want to buy another cable if this won't do anything.

I'm not sure why the firmware uploader is displaying 255.255.255, never seen that.  Does the handset display the correct firmware version ?

Yes it does. It only shows 255 etc when I open the loader window and click on the handset button. When I try to update it says shows the error above. I haven't tried your files yet. I'm beginning to think it can't read the handset info.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

same issue here today...

the idea was updating from 3.35 to 3.39.

Before updating 3.39 firmware, updated Bootloader to version 1.7.

Synscan Firmware loader 3.3 said  "Update Completed" but  unfortunately handset stop working.

HC powered off /powered on and  HC  show  "Press Enter to renew Bootloader"... press Enter.. it said waiting... and Finished. But retrying power cycle display always same message "Press enter to renew bootloader", "Waiting", "Finished". 

So I tried booting on update mode (0+8) and it says Synscan 1.7 update .

RJ11  cable connected to HC, opened Synscan Firmware Loader 3.3, press HC Version display Hardware 255.255

If I try update (firmware 3.39 or older versions ) I received message "Version 3.xx firmware does not work on 255.xx hardware"

Did you resolve? 

Previous firmware update to version 3.35 worked without any problem , so no cable or pc issue :(

Regards,

Luigi

Edited by Gigi1982

Update ! :)

I't a long story but I fixed my SynScan v3 ... 

After investigating the strange behaviour between different Synscan Firmware Loader versions, I suspected that problem was inside this software and not the HC Firmware or HC BootLoader (1.7).

These are my initial tests:

• Trying an update to firmware 3.39.10 using Synscan Firmware Loader 3.3 -> FAILED - "Version 3.xx firmware does not work on 255.xx hardware"
  • Trying an update to firmware 3.36 using Synscan Firmware Loader 3.3 -> FAILED - "Version 3.xx firmware does not work on 255.xx hardware"
  • Trying an update to firmware 3.39.10 using Synscan Firmware Loader 2.6 -> FAILED - Update procedure starts but hang on 0.0% and after minutes return "Update failed"
  • Trying an update to firmware 3.36 using Synscan Firmware Loader 2.6 -> FAILED - Update procedure starts but hang on 0.0% and after minutes return "Update failed" 

So my considerations:

• SynScan Loader 2.6 doesn't check Hardware version before update procedure
  • SynScan Loader 3.3 check Hardware version before update procedure

Second test: checking in-deep  communication between SynScan Loader and HC using a rs232 monitoring tool (acts like a tcp sniffer).

• Press HC version on Synscan Firmware Loader 3.3 = Loader send "I" command through rs232 and HC return "255 0 3 255"
  • Press HC version on Synscan Firmware Loader 2.6 = Loader send "I" command through rs232 and HC return "255 0 3 255"
  • Press Update on Synscan Firmware Loader 3.3 = Loader send "I" command through rs232 and HC return "255 0 3 255" and stop
  • Press HC version on Synscan Firmware Loader 2.6 = Loader send a set of commands (Hex) command through rs232 but HC doesn't return a response

So my considerations:

Could be something related to new SynScan protocol 3.3, supported by Loader 3.3 but not the old 2.6 ?

Sysncan Firmware Loader 2.6

• not able to use 3.3 protocol - ?
  • doesn't check HW version before update - sure

Sysncan Firmware Loader 3.3 

• able to use 3.3 protocol - sure
  • check HW version before update - sure

Third and final test: Try another Synscan Firmware Loader version between 3.3 and 2.6

I downloaded  Synscan Firmware Loader 3.0 from a Dropbox link and repeated tests:

• Press HC version on Synscan Firmware Loader 3.0 = Loader send "I" command through rs232 and HC return "255 0 3 255"
  • Press Update on Synscan Firmware Loader 3.0 = Loader send "I" command through rs232 and HC return "255 0 3 255" and start sending data for update :)
  • Press HC Version return Hardware  255 (not fixed)   Firmware 3.39.10  Database 3.28 

After update completed, reboot HC and now it works !!!

I don't know why Hardware version is wrong but HC returned to new life, tested tonight and worked great

So, in summary, my steps for FIX are:

• Download SynScan Firmware Loader 3.0 (I don't know if forum permits links so send me a pm if you can't find it)
  • Download HC Firmware (tested 3.36 ,3.38, 3.39.05,3.39.10)
  • Run Update :)

Apologize for this long and boring thread but I hope it will be useful for other people

Regards,

Luigi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

@Gigi1982 Just tried your fix on both of my v3 handsets which were stuck on v3.38.09. Both are now reflashed with v3.39.10 using the older v3.0 firmware uploader. 

Nice :) I'm glad for you

I'm not a Skywatcher employee so the discovered fix should work for someone but I don't guarantee :) .

• 11 months later...