Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Hey guys!

I'm planning to buy the Celestron Astromaster 130eq and I wanted to know that is it capable to capture deep sky objects with a phone?

Please explain in simple words as iam a newbie when it comes to telescopes.

Hi @Nuggetz and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

From what I gather, for deep sky objects to show any detail you need a few things...

1. a dark observing site and dark skies - cities & urban areas are pretty much no go areas.
  2. plenty of free storage space on your device.
  3. a very stable mount and tripod or pillar.
  4. accurate polar alignment.
  5. accurate tracking - for this you will need a guidescope.
  6. spot-on collimation when using a Newtonian reflector, (which is the type of 'scope you have).
  7. star charts.
  8. processing software/apps.
  9. time, patience and dedication.
  10. an understanding partner and/or bank manager... it is expensive.

I am purely visual at present; with the occasional lunar, planetary or solar snapshot/image.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Deep Sky Objects are generally understood as not including the Sun, Moon, individual stars or planets in our solar system.  Imaging DSOs requires individual exposures typically longer than a phone can provide. Perhaps you could either ask what a phone could image or what equipment is required to image DSOs? Depends on your aims. Don't buy anything until you are happy with your requirements and what equipment is necessary.

Doing AP with smartphones presents a lot of challenges and the results will always be much less than dedicated astronomy cameras or dslr's, you will be using eyepiece projection meaning imaging through the eyepiece so for dso this means you need a decent eyepiece collection and a SPA (smartphone adapter) that's compatible with your eye pieces you might also think about a Barlow lens this is all so you can frame the objects you wish to capture as different magnification and object size are the norm. Beginning visual astronomers eventually reach for their phone out of curiosity and convenience but most never get past moon shots as planetary and dso present greater challenges like not seeing the dso target for quite some time until a long enough exposure has been captured to know your even on the target this is because a  much smaller less sensitive camera sensor is employed and it is important to note that most smartphone cameras are limited to very short exposures and some not all of the more expensive smartphone cameras can do longer exposures but they are still very limited in exposure time, and for planetary getting enough image scale (how big the target is in the frame) so the planet covers enough pixels so that good detail is captured is difficult as smartphones are wide field image capture devices their lenses make everything more distant just take a shot of the moon and notice it looks much larger to the naked eye.

On top of all that phone camera applications are not all equal either and eyepiece projection requires precise camera alignment for the best results something not that easy with a smartphone as well there may be little technical support, tutorials with your specific phone camera in regards to using it for astrophotography so your kind of on your own with it to a large extent.

All that being said I have seen some very acceptable works using smartphones for AP and some down right stunning shots through larger apertures above 16 inches and enjoy doing some shots with my smartphones on occasion and using them to share lunar and solar liveviews with others...

My suggestion is if you want to do AP of dso get a dedicated astronomy camera or dslr and read the book "Make Every Photon Count" before buying anything, if you just want to have fun and take some shots grab your phone...

Best of Luck and Clear Skies of course ?

Freddie...

Edited by SIDO
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2019 at 20:27, Nuggetz said:

Hey guys!

I'm planning to buy the Celestron Astromaster 130eq and I wanted to know that is it capable to capture deep sky objects with a phone?

Please explain in simple words as iam a newbie when it comes to telescopes.

Basically to be blunt - No !

For faint deep sky you need a fast large aperture scope that can be precisely controlled so the attached camera can take multiple long exposures.

But, with the right bracket to hold the camera to the eyepiece, you should be able to video the moon and then use software to process that video to make a single image of the Moon