Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25.thumb.jpg.f1d5d01d306644f613efd90ef96b314c.jpg

My first and only submission to this competition. The single frame is taken with a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W830. It's an EP picture using an Orion Space Probe 130st on a SW NEQ5 pro. 17mm Sirius plossl eyepiece. Picture taken 14/04/2019 late in the evening.

I took a similar picture over a year ago and haven't had any luck in ten attempts to replicate it, biggest problem focus. Only using what is in effect a holiday point and shoot on a bracket clamped to the eye piece means you take your pictures and hope. 

A little manipulation of the picture using the simple colour/balance/rotation etc in the standard windows picture viewer. It has been too difficault to get this result, hence the 'only submission' comment. 

If I have to submit more....... then I'm going to need your boots, clothes and your motorcycle.

DSC00195 (3).JPG

• Like 5

I'd say it was worth your effort!

A nice, natural image. 

Thanks Dude, the worst bit was not knowing how I got the original pictures last year and why I couldn't get a repeat result. Drove me nuts and my wife mad! What's the SW 250 like?

2 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

What's the SW 250 like?

Big! :)

I mount it on the EQ6 with the standard tripod and, man, can that eyepiece get to some awkward positions! Still, it's a dream to look through and the EQ6 holds is well enough for trouble free visual.

I keep threatening to Dob it and get a Mak or frac for the EQ.

Nice. I am at a beginners junction having only been doing this two years. Recently got the SW NEQ5 Pro goto mount for my existing 130 newt. Dilema is this... do I make a small step and put a 150 pds on it, so I can do some planetary photography or go for the 200 and stay visual only?

Two years from now I will be buying a big dob so I am stuck with that thing of bigger aperture now, trumped by the dob later or smaller photo outfit, what do reckon?

I'm no astrophotographer but for visual a rule of thumb is stick with the scope you'll use!

The step up from a 130 to a 150, not withstanding issues beyond simple aperture, is almost not worth the bother. A 200 is a worthy scope and back in my early days it was most amateur's dream scope. I could only afford a 6.25in newt but it was great. Took me 30 odd years to step up to the 10in.

I know imaging is a standalone subject now but there is nothing wrong with learning and appreciating the sky visually first. Some would say it's preferable to do so ;)   Imaging shouldn't be seen as a required progression, wait until it calls you, if ever :)

Anyway, I see I'm waffling in the challenge thread so best not distract from the Terminator too much... hasta la vista, baby! :)