SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Single wire - got rid of the clutter!

My ambition was to get rid of the many cables - USB and power - between my imaging rig and the outside world.

I made a small distribution box that gives 8 x 12v outputs and a single 19v out put for the NUC

Mounted an Intel NUC on the scope and added an extra 2 x USB ports giving 6 in total (it would go to 8 if required)

Made USB leads of the correct length. (thanks to all who helped with their knowledge of making USB cables!)

The only connection between the rig and anything immovable is a single 12v power cable. All other connections are on the rig and the data is handled wirelessly.

Less to get caught up/snagged and less to upset PHD2.

Several hours making things but I feel it was worth the effort - a brief trial before packing up for the summer shows all works perfectly.

IMG-1218.JPG

IMG-1219.JPG

• Like 10

Very neat job, :thumbsup: although some of the 90 degree cable bends have a slightly different radius of curvature which you might like to address in the future. :tongue2:

My dual rig has a similar philosophy though I put everything in a single box. I initially had just the single power lead which worked well but when transferring the images to my desktop via the wifi the remote desktop became very sluggish and jerky. I tried an ethernet cable instead and it was fine so I've left it with two cables going to the rig now. :smile: Hopefully your wi-fi is better.

Alan

1 hour ago, symmetal said:

Very neat job, :thumbsup: although some of the 90 degree cable bends have a slightly different radius of curvature which you might like to address in the future. :tongue2:

When it goes back on the pier a heat gun will make quick work of making all the radii match !! ? 

• Like 1

I have just done something similar and used a Raspberry Pi 3b as the on mount control centre running astroberry.  I also have a separate powered USB hub as I was worried about the power load on the RPi connections.

Where did you find details on making your own USB cables?

5 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

I just asked at the fountain of all knowledge.......

You are not wrong there, I even think this site outdoes "Which Magazine" for recommendations about anything from toasters to cars :D

Alan