Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
NenoVento

Galaxies from my terrace

This really is a dream come true: watching galaxies from my (badly light polluted) terrace.

Hardware:

• Celestron CPC  800 GPS
  • F/6,3 focal reducer
  • RisingTech GPCMOS0200KMA
  • Optolong UHC filter
  • SAMSUNG R540 laptop with Windows 10

Software:

• Sharpcap
  • All-Sky Plate Solver
  • The Gimp

I took many pictures and all of them were live-stacked using 10 frames of 20 seconds exposures, then I used The Gimp to cut  the stacking borders off the images (due to my using an AZ mount) and to remove the singal-free part of the colour curves. So here  you have an example of how they came out:

M104

M104-1.thumb.jpeg.c1438b464fd2fd49c29b0089b48e32c9.jpeg

Then, I realised that by simply auto equalizing and inverting the colours with The Gimp I could see much more details. I assume that by doing that I went beyond the EEA canon, though... Anyhow, here you have the result, in case you want to try it yourself:

M104-2.thumb.jpeg.98c952dbbe97238cb25d85150f738c57.jpeg

Best regards,

NV

• Like 10

I see you are using a Risingtech camera but I can not find it on his website.
Could you put a link please? Thanks.

OK, thanks. Is the IMX290  chip. A good choice for EEVA.

Have you tried the native software of this camera, the Risigsky software?

To me it seems very complete and easy to use

Yes, but the Touptek original (Toupsky) is better, since it also contains the flats correction on the fly (which works rather well).  You'll get it (as well as the camera's ASCOM drivers required for other aplications to work properly) here:

http://www.touptek.com/download/showdownload.php?lang=en&id=2

I went back to (the excellent) Sharpcap because I couldn't plate solve with All-Sky Plate Solver directly when I tried, but it did work when integrated in Sharpcap. Now I think that it was because of my using a bad combination of a pretty narrow FOV together with capture parameters that resulted in too few background stars, so I may give it another try...

By looking at your signature I can see that you are using other RT cameras as well (I also have the 224, which I use for planetary and, sometimes, also for EEA, when the object is not too dim). Care to tell me about your experience?. In fact, I was debating between the 290 and the 178 (mainly for the sensor size) but in the end economy chose the 290 for  me.

Posted (edited)

The latest versions of Risingsky have the option of taking and applying the so-called "flats". Actually I do not use them for EEVA because any subsequent treatment with Startools, Pixinsight or similar perfectly corrects the defect.

The IMX224 has been and continues to be, in my opinion, one of the best and cheapest chips for EEVA, it is very sensitive and combined in an appropriate way with a telescope like the SKW Quattro 8 " it gives a magnificent result in small and weak objects like galaxies , planetary nebulae and globular clusters In the link of my signature you can consult the Telescopius some of the results.

Effectively FOV is the main parameter in EEVA if we want to have the maximum detail . The idea is that the main object occupies most of the FOV and this forces several camera / telescope combinations. The size of the IMX224 makes it impossible ( or very difficult) to use it in medium or large objects, so for these cases I use the IMX294 without refrigerating of Risingtech combined with a TSoptics RC 6 "or a TSoptics APO of 3".

I am waiting for the first bright nebulae to appear in the East to be able to make the first tests!. Previously I used ATIK Infinityvand even the Panasonic P / MN34230 (ASI1600) but the Infinity had problems with the color balance and the ASI1600 little sensitivity for EEVA.

The IMX 178 is a good chip but it does not work well for EEVA, it is not very sensitive and you have to increase  the exposures that you will need work guided to have acceptable results and that is already Astrophotography not EEVA.....IMHO

Edited by elpajare
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, elpajare said:

The IMX 178 is a good chip but it does not work well for EEVA, it is not very sensitive and you have to increase  the exposures that you will need work guided to have acceptable results and that is already Astrophotography not EEVA.....IMHO

Besides the cost, these were my thoughts on that sensor as well.

PS: Feels weird "talking" to a fellow Spaniard on an English (UK?) based amateur astronomy forum.

Well, the hobby erases borders. I have learned a lot, almost everything I know, in an American forum.

At least we behave like inhabitants of planet earth, without borders or languages (thanks GOOGLE!)

• Like 1