Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TEC Cooled CMOS Issue

I have a new Altair 183M Pro TEC CMOS camera and have noticed that when I connect the camera to my laptop and switch on the TEC cooling it creates an interference with my laptop track pad. The track pad essentially jumps around and left clicks every now and then whilst trying to scroll. This doesn't seem to be right, but I may be wrong. Any ideas? 

How is the camera being powered ? as it sounds like the cooling is using some form of high frequency switching. which is what is causing the interference problem, and can be made worse by lower quality power supplies that don't have suitable suppression circuitry.

Hi Julian,

The cooling side of the camera is powered via a 12V 3.34A AC/DC switching power supply plugged directly into an extension lead and then into my outside mains power socket. The camera element is powered via a USB3 cable plugged directly into my Dell laptop.

Thanks,

James

You'll need to start by trying to isolate where the interference is coming from, and any other means to mitigate its effects....

If you have any spares of these, then, try plugging in one at a time and testing.... 12V Power supply (preferably non switching), wired mouse, wireless mouse\keyboard, different usb leads.

Does the heater stay on when switched on in the software and you close the software ?  if so, when its running try unplugging the USB lead.

3 hours ago, Jamesseddon85 said:

Hi Julian,

The cooling side of the camera is powered via a 12V 3.34A AC/DC switching power supply plugged directly into an extension lead and then into my outside mains power socket. The camera element is powered via a USB3 cable plugged directly into my Dell laptop.

Thanks,

James

As above try a different power source. I assume its only when power is applied for the cooling, I seem to recall the fan is powered from the USB. 

Don't discount that the problem is entirely with the laptop and not the camera, my wife's laptop screen flicks off every time someone in the room gets a text message. Its just poor shielding and earthing. 

Thank you for your help guys, I will do some experimentation this evening and will try to have the problem sorted for the Easter weekend as the weather is looking pretty clear.

I have a spare non switching power supply and a USB2 cable which should be compatible. I will also try a wired mouse. If its just a problem with the track pad it is not so much of an issue as I could just use a wired mouse, or maybe a longer USB lead / intermediate hub to get the laptop further away from the telescope.

If I find out the issue I will keep this post updated with my findings!

Archived