Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_terminator_challenge.thumb.jpg.b7f10f594317507d0f40662231b0d9a8.jpg

Knight of Clear Skies

1060 Hour Amateur Image of the LMC

Here's a write-up of the image details in English. "The image is a mosaic made of 16 smaller fields of view, which, once stitched together form a high-resolution image of 204 Million of pixels! As of matter of fact, this is not the work of a single person but by a team of five french amateur astronomers called "Ciel Austral":  Jean Claude CANONNE, Philippe BERNHARD, Didier CHAPLAIN, Nicolas OUTTERS et Laurent BOURGON."

spacer.png

Taken from here (site is in French). Well worth a look at the site as there is also a narrowband version which shows the nebulae more clearly. Loading the full size versions of the images into a browser tends to crash it, but there are zoomable versions available. There is also an annotated map on wikipedia, although it's rotated 90 degrees.

Amazing stuff. If I remember correctly Nicolas Outters also discovered the Squid Nebula.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Great stuff!!  Wish it was Northern Hemisphere though so that I could recognise things.  I want to make an ultra widefield image from here but it wont be high resolution - that Southern Hemisphere image is amazing.

That’s awesome, such dedication and skill involved.

Amateur astronomers in the LMC have a lot to look at!

Wow! or How to make your PC or Mac GPU go into meltdown when you maximise the images! :help2::evil62:

Mine had no problem but it was bought with a spec to facilitate astro image processing in PixInsight!

The zoomable version is simply amazing. So much to see and in such detail.

On 15/04/2019 at 21:56, Philip R said:

Wow! or How to make your PC or Mac GPU go into meltdown when you maximise the images! :help2::evil62:

Chrome and Firefox seem to struggle with really big images, the zoomable versions I linked to above should help with that.