Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1060 Hour Amateur Image of the LMC

Here's a write-up of the image details in English. "The image is a mosaic made of 16 smaller fields of view, which, once stitched together form a high-resolution image of 204 Million of pixels! As of matter of fact, this is not the work of a single person but by a team of five french amateur astronomers called "Ciel Austral":  Jean Claude CANONNE, Philippe BERNHARD, Didier CHAPLAIN, Nicolas OUTTERS et Laurent BOURGON."

spacer.png

Taken from here (site is in French). Well worth a look at the site as there is also a narrowband version which shows the nebulae more clearly. Loading the full size versions of the images into a browser tends to crash it, but there are zoomable versions available. There is also an annotated map on wikipedia, although it's rotated 90 degrees.

Amazing stuff. If I remember correctly Nicolas Outters also discovered the Squid Nebula.

Great stuff!!  Wish it was Northern Hemisphere though so that I could recognise things.  I want to make an ultra widefield image from here but it wont be high resolution - that Southern Hemisphere image is amazing.

Archived