Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

I have had an issue with the mount of my CPC800. I have noted that sometimes when slewing through a large angle in azimuth the note of the gear noise changes. Also once or twice the target image has taken off to the left while I was preparing to image and even motor speed 3 would not hold it on screen. Also I have once or twice left it unattended for  several minutes and returned to discover that I needed to use the optical finder to recover the target.  This makes me wonder if something is binding.

It still works far better than the 6/8 SE mount, so I am reluctant to send it for repair or open it up without a clear pointer to the nature of the problem and likely fix.  It would be a more serious issue for long exposures/deep space imaging.

Hi Geoff

Is the ota balanced, 3D system ideally ?

Worth watching the dec mesh with the cover off while slewing at high speed, if it's like a Meade fork mount you have to adjust the mesh tension so as not to bind at the high spots of the gear eccentricity.

Michael 

Not a balance problem - this is an alt-azimuth GoTo mount, and it's not on a wedge.  I may take the cover off and inspect the azimuth action  if the problem gets worse. 

Posted (edited)

My bad, I got my Az and Alts mixed up  !

Too long on a wedge always thinking RA and Dec ..........

Michael 

Edited by michael8554

I wondered if it was power related, so I tried a jump start pack and a thicker, lower resistance cable with locking ring at the mount end. Still had the image trying to do a swift exit left on one exposure.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By TB00
      Hi A very newbie question here but for the life of me cannot figure it out.
      Have an EQM35 goto mount linked through a skywatcher wifi dongle to a synscan pro app on my android galaxy s9 phone.
      I van use the app but have a couple of things that are either greyed out or dont operate when pressed:
      1. Point  and  track
      2. Doesn't seem to track (tried the.moon) using lunar tracking but mount doesn't move
      Thanks in advance for your help.
      Tim
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      On 22 Oct I had a go at EEVA with the moons of Uranus, using my CPC800 and the ASI224MC (and flip mirror)
      The image with about 5 sec exposure looked exciting, with several little dots in a line around Uranus's overexposed blob.  But when I analysed it later I found that I had imaged several 13th mag. background stars, and noted Oberon as a definite ID and Ariel as possible.  The seeing was bad.
      The moons are clearly within the range of this setup, so I will try again sometime and see if I can secure a set of stackable images.  The Sharpcap live stacking wouldn't work on this occasion.
      I needed Calsky to identify and eliminate the background stars, but it unhelpfully notes the moons as 'beyond the range of amateur telescopes.'  The Sky & Telescope tool identified the moons.
    • By Michele Scotti
      Hi everybody,
      i'd like to share with you the design, making and progress of a project my astro club endeavoring to. I'll post here relevant info in a run-up  to where we got to so far.

Here is the mission: 800mm in diameter. That's it. A lot of inspiration out there but it needs to be able to do science. So it's a relatively fast Newtonian capable of tracking for tens of minutes.
      So we realized that we were facing 2 projects in one. The mirror on one side and the mount on the other. Shall we start with the mount? What's the best compromise in terms of ease to build and cheap components and the chance to have a stiff yet light structure. An alt-az, like the biggest telescope! - or rather a glorified dobsonian in this case.

Ambitious? Definitely
      Any comment/suggestion is welcome!

• By Vroobel
      Hi, 
      As my GoTo is successfully finished (some cosmetic issues remain) I shoud focus my attention on planets' positions. I have proper source of information: fantastic book "Astronomical Algorithms" by Jean Meeus, thus I will sort the planets soon. But planets are not a challenge for me at this moment, they are just something obvious to do in my list. 
      I have another idea and ambitious plan for next project within the year: locating and tracking the ISS to be able to make a video of its fly, not only transition. 
      Similarly to other objects, I need some equations. I'm pretty sure they are available somewhere, because plenty websites or apps offer showing current position of the ISS. 
      I will use this topic for sharing a progress ot the project. 
    • By Cosmic Geoff
      Saturn on 14 July.  The main division is not as sharp as I would have liked, but the inner ring shows up very bright and one can see symmetrical shadows of the planet on the rings.  Altitude about 14 deg.
      Imaged with CPC800, ASI224MC, ADC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.